ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Herpes confusion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:57 pm 

I have possibly been exposed to herpes. I haven't had any outbreaks other than something that looks like razor burn. I have had both the blood test and the swab test done and both confirmed negative findings. I continue to have vaginal and anal burning. The doctor told me this was due to interstitial cystitis. Does anyone out there have these kinds of symptoms that has the herpes virus or could it be the interstitial cystytis? I'm scared and am in pain continually. The burning is not only during urination but all the time...day/night. :?: HELP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:37 am 

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear about the symptoms you have been experiencing. Burning such as you described is not common for herpes. Herpes, being a skin condition, usually brings along some type of visible symptom (sores, rash, bumps, etc.) when there is any burning. Also, it was unclear how long you had had the symptoms, but herpes symptoms tend to heal on their own within 2 to 12 days with or without the use of treatments.

In terms of next steps, have you talked to your doctor about treatment options for interstitial cystitis? We have no information on it, as we specialize in herpes, but if it was properly diagnosed, they should be able to discuss treatment options. If you are unsure of the accuracy of the diagnosis... if you notice a visible symptom below the waist and above the thighs at any time, we recommend having it cultured as soon as you can. A culture is most accurate when it's done within 2 days of the symptom appearing.

Good luck,
Mike

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]