ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:59 am 

I'm 20 years old, I broke up with my fiancee some time ago, and I found out he was infected with HSV long time ago, over 4 years ago he said. :shock: He said he never found important to tell me that cuz he was treated with laser the sores and the doctor told him he wasnt getting anymore ulcers. But I'm confused cuz I lost my virginity with him, and that time I got kinda ripped, so in fact I had an opened wound! that happened 2 years ago! :x :oops: :cry: my question is, is it possible to get infected with his semen to my opened wound that time?? is the virus transmisible thru semen or just active symptoms??? please help me and let me know! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited by Susanm on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: and...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:29 am 

I forgot to say that I was tested of all of the STDs b4... like everyone I guess. But clean too! now not so sure! after reading all the information I remembered last month around Dec. 2nd I got a cold sore on my mouth, actually the first one in my life in my upper lip, and got some lymph nodes swollen. I always had cold sores inside my mouth since I was a little girl, but I believe that was the common herpes type I. Now that I got one outside my mouth... I'm wondering if I really got herpes 2!? :cry: now I'm feeling something weird in my genitals, it's not itch, its not pain either.. but discomfort! maybe I'm just thinking to much about this... anyways I'm really going tomorrow to take a blood test to find out about it! :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm just soooo scared and disappointed!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:09 am 

susanm -

i'm new to all of this, too, but i can tell you that you need to try to relax at least until you get the blood work done. no sense in stressing out over something that may not be there.

from what i'm reading, the herpes virus is only transmissable through skin to skin contact - not semen. Also, if you have had cold sores in your mouth, i believe that is still herpes 1 and anything on your lip would be the same thing.

read the info on this web site very well. it will tell you a lot.

i'm curious, though, did you break up with your fiance JUST because he has herpes? it's not that big a deal, actually. if you love each other and want to spend a lifetime together, you will find a way around the herpes. this is not life-threatening and it's no worse than being restricted because of a bad back or something like that. Life gives us limitations all over, this is just another one and i'm hoping at least, that when i find a partner, we can enjoy being more creative about sex to work around the herpes.

Good luck, susanm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:05 pm 

hey freeat53,
thanx for all your words, they really helped me a lot! About me breaking up with him, It wasnt for that actually... But, indeed it was something that made me mad cuz I thought there was a very good communication between us.. certainly I believe is something you should share with your partner even if you are in the risk of giving it away! We still talk, not too often though... He had a kid with someone else while we were together... (part of our breakup).. and not sure if he found someone else... it's a little complex.. but I'm afraid that if I got something from him, I'm not going to be able to find somebody else.. it just freaks me out (in case i have it) that I could give it to somebody I love.... just stressful!!! :(
anyhow... I believe you're right! I should try to chill out 'til all tests are done and they give a final result! Meanwhile I'll just try to pray the Lord to give me strength to accept whatever that may come with it!
THANX AGAIN freeat53!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:28 am 

Hi susanm,

Know that freeat53 was right on target with everything including the fact that herpes is not produced in bodily fluids such as semen (blood too - individuals with oral or genital herpes can donate blood for example). Herpes is only transmitted through direct skin-to-skin contact.

In terms of your test results, make sure you are taking/took an type-specific IgG based test. IgM tests are inaccurate and not recommended. Even if you take an accurate test and happen to receive a positive HSV-2 result, know that you can have the same relationships, same level of intimacy and sexual activity that anyone can. As noted in a previous post, there is a lot of misinformation about herpes so education is key. Look over our resources and materials and make sure you are getting updated, accurate information.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject: thanx mike
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:13 am 

hi mike,
first I'd like to thank you for your response. I took a blood test on Ig G, the results as you can read them say 0.5 U/ml, that you can compare between the minimun of 0.0 ar max of 5.0 U/ml. But, I'm not really sure how to read them! I have been looking for information all over to see what this mean..
anyways... thanks for all the information and I'll be searching around to see what I can find!
thanks again mike!

Susan

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]