ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Test Results
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:42 pm 

Betsey, I got the test results today it was Herpes I and the number was 4.25. Doc gave me a script for Aclavair in case I should have another bad outbreak but said that he thought it would most likely not be a big problem in my future.

Thank you for your all of your great advice. I used every bit of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:10 pm 

Acyclovir you mean? What dose did they order? For recurrences it's 400mg 3x/day for 5 days or 800mg 3x/day for 2 days. Both work to speed healing of lesions at the same rate ( you'll still have lesions when you are done taking your medication but taking more longer doesn't change the rate of healing any faster than just taking higher doses for less days ).

So your hsv1 igg was 4.25 on the blood test and your hsv2 was negative? If so your hubby needs to get himself a type specific herpes igg blood test for hsv1 and hsv2. if he's + for hsv1 and hsv2 then you'll need to repeat your blood test in another 3 months ( or really you could probably pretty safely assume that you really have hsv2 and it's a newly acquired infection hence why it didn't show up on the blood test - it's up to you ). Did you have a lesion culture that showed hsv1 or just the blood test results?

Yeah I know I"m asking a ton of questions but the way your doc has handled this so far just makes me need to confirm that you are getting good advice!

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:07 pm 

I will try to answer all of this...lol

Quote:
Acyclovir you mean? What dose did they order? For recurrences it's 400mg 3x/day for 5 days or 800mg 3x/day for 2 days. Both work to speed healing of lesions at the same rate

This is precisely what he ordered for me in the event that I should have another outbreak.

They did a culture but apparently that didn't come back in yet.

The blood test came back negative for HSV II but positive for I. Doc seemed to think I had no worries about it being II at all based on the blood test but would call when the culture came in, if it was positive for II. He said that he felt secure in diagnosing me with I since my outbreak was "miner". I had a total of four blisters. i don't know if that is miner but it didn't feel miner. He also said that he didn't think it was a primary outbreak. That I'd probably had my primary outbreak already but it went un-noticed.

I do remember getting a hemmroid about four months after my husband and I reconciled. My first blister appeared in procisely the same spot. I actually thought, when this happened, that is what it might be that at first or tenderness left over from a yeast infection.

Doc said that the culture may not be reliable because the outbreak was past the first 48 hours (it happened over the weekend starting Friday night and I couldn't get into the doctors until Tuesday , lucky me).

I'm in the mist of convincing my husband to get a blood test. Men! He and the doc seem to be sharing the same opinion...what is the point? Grrrrrr! I'm of the opposite opinion, knowledge is power. Why risk passing it to him, if he should not have it? Or if he has HSV II why should I risk getting it? Or finding out if it's a new infection etc...

Yes the HSV I was 4.25 according to the doc. I didn't get to see the damn thing! I'm thinking about requesting a copy that I can persue at my lessure. I don't know what this number means other than I've got HSV I.

I hope that answers everything...lol.

I'm not real happy with this doctor. I had to ask for a script for any future outbreaks otherwise he was saying to just take motrin. WTF!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:53 am 

Just take motrin? Obviously he's never had a nasty rash on his johnson before that that's the advice he gave :( Think I can sneak some poison ivy down his briefs when he's sleeping one night? he he he

Definitely your husband needs tested. It very well could be that your previous hsv1 infection took the "edge off" a newly acquired hsv2 infection hence why it was so "minor". A newly acquired hsv2 infection can take a few weeks/months to show up on the blood test.

You must just be way too nice to your hubby that he's even considering not going to get tested :twisted:

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]