ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Testing Positive
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:15 am 

I'm having some trouble understanding my test results and what to do regarding transmission. I received a 4.1 Igg HSV 2 test result a couple of weeks ago. If I'm positive this would have happned 4 months ago. I went to a STD clinic to get re-tested and examined. That test result came back neg. for HSV 1 and positive for HSV 2 (she didn't have a number just that is was over 5) The Dr found nothing during the examination. I have had NO symptoms or signs in this 4 months. The Dr. seems very unconcerned about this and did not suggest any medication and said a 4.1 is very low and i was infected at some point but the virus is lying dormant and basically not to worry. I'm very concerned about spreading this virus to my spouse and not sure about this doctors reccomndations. What do you suggest? What type of dr. should i see for more expertise.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:09 pm 

A 4.1 hsv2 igg means that you have hsv2. If you have it , you can still transmit it. I think your practioner isn't very up to date on herpes knowledge :(

Has your husband been tested yet? If not that's your next step. Don't assume anything. Also if you were never tested before this - it might not be the newly contracted infection you are assuming it is.

Be sure to check out the herpes info here on asha and also take the time to read the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com Both are terrific resources to help you and your hubby decide what precautions, if any, are needed with all this.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:48 pm 

I'm a male, not that it makes a difference. Is suppressive therapy usually recommended if there are no outbreaks? Also is it possible I still haven’t had my initial outbreak yet? What type of dr. would you recommend going to? I would like to get better advice than I have gotten in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:03 pm 

Oops sorry I got the wrong gender there.

If you tested + 4 months past the last time you could've potentially contracted this - then your initial ob is here and gone. You just haven't had any obvious ob's yet. One study showed that in folks who tested + for hsv2 and SWORE that they had never had a symptom of it before, after proper education - about 80% of them were able to start recognizing the signs of the virus being active afterwards. Most folks assume that if you have genital herpes you'll immediately have very obvious, very painful, "classic" blister like lesions that you can't miss. The reality is that it's more likely to be more vague like itching, redness, pain etc. So chances are good that you've had symptoms in the past but just never recognized them as being anything you should think twice about.

At this point get your wife tested for hsv and go from there. If she's also + then perhaps this isn't the new infection you think it is. If she's negative, then discuss if you both think that daily suppressive therapy is a good option for the two of you. You don't HAVE to go on it but definitely discuss it and decide together whether it should be part of your arsenal for reducing her risk or not.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:50 pm 

Thanks for the reply and information. 2 other questions. You mentioned if she is positive for us to both consider taking suppressive therapy. Would she take the Rx also as a precaution? What is the transmission risk of oral sex? Can HSV 2 be transmitted orally to someone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:52 pm 

Oh sorry I wasn't clear on that - I meant suppressive therapy for you if she's negative for hsv2 to help lower her risk of contracting it. If you both have hsv2 - unless you start to be bothered by frequent recurrences - there's no reason to take suppressive therapy since transmission of the virus won't be an issue.

If you both have hsv2 genitally - you are very unlikely to contract it orally later on. Just avoid performing oral sex on your partners if either of you have anything going on down yonder just to err on the side of caution.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]