ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: newly diagnosed
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:04 pm 

i was just diagnosed with genital herpes and i am having such a hard time coping with it. I have been with the my boyfriend for over two years and i just don't know how to tell him that i have genital herpes and can someone give me advice on how to tell him? :cry: Also, my doctor has put me on valtrex and i wanted to know how well it works... overall i am just scared...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:00 am 

welcome and I"m glad you found us :)

First things first - how were you diagnosed as having herpes? was it just a visual diagnosis? did you have a culture and typing of a lesion done? Have you had any blood work done? It will be important to confirm your diagnosis and to also find out which type you have at some point.

So how do you talk about this with your bf? Just be open and honest with him. Let him know that you were having X symptoms so you went to the doctor's and weren't you shocked to find out that they suspect that you have genital herpes. Let them know that you are awaiting the results of your own testing but that meanwhile he'll need to go get himself a type specific herpes igg blood test for hsv1and hsv2 so that you two can figure who has what in the next several days. chances are good that neither of you have ever been tested before for herpes so it's not like either of you knew you had this and was hiding it from the other. Once you find out if you have hsv1 genitally or hsv2 and know your bf's status then the two of you can figure out if you need to be taking any precautions or not.

Be sure to read the info on herpes here at asha and also check out the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com and the patient counseling video on the same site. All are good sources of info and will help you start to educate yourself on herpes and how to deal with it in everydaylife.

Hang in there - I know this is a lot for you right now. The valtrex will help to speed healing of the lesions so that you will feel better sooner. The handbook also gives lots of ideas for pain relief too ( and so do many of the back posts here ).

betsy

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:29 pm 

my doctor did a culture test and the test came up positive for herpes and my symptoms were itchiness and i had noticed a couple of little lesions and thats what sent me to the doctor. My doctor also took blood to determine what type of herpes i have so i am just waiting for the results. Thank you for the help on telling my boyfriend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:10 am 

If this is a newly acquired infection it can take up to several months to be reflected in the blood test. Since your culture test was just recent - call your doctor monday and ask them to call the lab they use and ask them to type it. they usually keep the specimens for awhile just for reasons like this. Your doctor should get in the habit of automatically ordering typing of all cultures. It saves the patient time and money.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]