ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:39 pm 

I was recently diagnosed with HSV2. I have had no recognizable HSV2 symptoms. The testing was done because I requested my doctor test me for all STD's including Herpes after breaking up with my boyfriend who I had been having unprotected sex with. All STD tests came back negative except HSV2. I don't know which test they gave or the score, but will find out this week at a follow up visit.

I'm reading on-line that you can have HSV2 and have no recognizable symptoms. My question is one of ethics. If I don't know how long I have had HSV2, and have had no obvious symptoms, how far back do I need to go in notifying former sexual partners?

I am not currently dating, I broke up with my boyfriend 7 weeks ago.

I am very clear that I need to notify any future partners, but I am not clear on notification of past partners.

In the past 20 years I have had 6 partners. Three were long term relationships, I practiced abstinence for 5 years, then this past 13 months I have had 3 partners - two of them very briefly and one of them my recently ex-boyfriend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:57 am 

No need to go back and notify everyone you've ever slept with. I'd just talk about this with your last bf and that's it.

I'll gladly give you a hand with your test results to see if you need any additional confirmatory testing or not if you can get a copy of them and post the numeric results here - ie hsv1 igg 4.6 and hsv2 igg 5.1 or whatever they are.

betsy

Post subject: Results
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:34 pm 

Thank you Betsy.

My test results are HSV2 igg 4.78. I don't have the numbers for HSV1 but was told that it is negative.

Do you have any statistics that show infection percentage for an HSV2 negative male and an HSV2 positive female?

Since I'm not clear on if this is a recent infection on my part or if I've had it for years and not known, I am interested to know what percentage of a chance my ex-boyfriend had of getting it from me if he was negative. (And, I don't know that he was/is negative.)

I'm meeting with him tonight to let him know so he can get tested.

What really amazes me is that they don't test for HSV as part of a standard STD test. I asked to be tested for all STD's 6 years ago and was amazed to find out HSV wasn't included in the testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:10 pm 

If that was your hsv2 result then it's over the cut off range that is associated with false positives so there's no need for confirmatory testing. Not the news you probably wanted to hear but it's better to know you have it and deal with it than it is to find out you have it after you've transmitted it to a partner.

The risk to your ex bf is still smaller of contracting hsv2 from you than not contracting it. His getting himself tested is a good idea though. If he's + you two will probably never figure out who had it first or even if you both unknowingly came into the relationship with it.

Meanwhile - be sure to check out the herpes info here on asha as well as in the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com. There is also a patient counseling video there to watch too that is helpful. Educate yourself on the virus and how to lower the risk to any future partners. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]