ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newly diagnosed, 2nd ob.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:28 am 

I tested positive for HPV2 at the end of Aug. I had such severe lesions on my cervix with discharge and bleeding that I needed antibiotics and was put on Acyclovir 400mg 3Xday for 10 days. Thanks to your website I also learned about Derma blast for the external lesions which lasted a week and a half.
I just noticed my 2nd ob last night and called my gyn at 8 AM this morning and asked for his medical aid to call me about starting me on a prescription right away(to top it off I am across the country on business).
I call 3 more times and finally refuse to hang up until I talk to someone because it has been 5 hours since I first called and I need to start some meds. I explain what is going on and they call in a script to a Walgreens in the town I am working in. It takes another 2 hours to get it filled.
I get it back to the hotel and he has given me Valtrex 500mg 2Xday for 7 days.

Every where I read on your site says I should get that for an intitial ob but for a reaccurance only 3 days. Am I taking it longer because I maybe didn't catch it in the first 24 hours thanks to their delay? I do have 3 refills on this script. Will it go away any faster if I take more meds?

I do know from your site that the faster I start the meds after signs of an ob the better chance I have of it going away quicker.

Thanks for your help and for a great web site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:37 am 

the differing doses usually just goofs up folks unless they look it up everytime. The valtrex website always has the full prescribing info on it too for reference and to confirm what you read anywhere.

Recurrences is 500mg 2x/day for 3 days. Studies have found it's done all it's going to do in those 3 days. You'll still have lesions - they'll take a few more days to heal completely but it's speeding things up as much as they can.

Hope you are feeling better soon :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:01 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So far (knock on wood) no lesions, but it's only the 2nd day since I started showing signs. I'll take the Valtrex for th 3 days and then I will have some on hand for the next time which I hope isn't too soon.

This site is amazing. I was so freaked out when I found out I was positive. I have been married and faithful for 26 years and ignored for the last 20. I finally started seeing two very nice men in January who both were clean for STD's. Both are getting tested for HPV now and are mad that it isn't a standard test. Neither showed signs and are both freaking out also.
I sent this site ti both of them and they have learned a lot including what tests to ask for.

Thanks for be here for us when we are feeling so desperate and alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:32 pm 

Just wanted to point out that hpv and hsv are 2 different viruses. Hpv is the virus that causes warts and cervical cancer and hsv is the virus that causes genital herpes and cold sores. Easy to type the wrong button I know!

If the discharge doesn't clear up in a few days - you might want to return to the doctor to make sure you aren't just having so much fun that you actually have a vaginitis going on - either yeast or bacteria. sometimes it just sucks to be a girl :(

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:33 am 

Whoops! At least you knew what I meant. Dr. says discharge may be my early warning sign. As for the "fun", I haven't had any since the positive test. One of my guys should have his results today or tomorrow.
The other guy has been on business trips and hasn't even gone in to be tested yet. :!: I would think he'd want to know, but whatever... he said he will in the next week when he gets a bit of a break at work.

Thanks for everything once again. Hopefully someday I can have "fun" again. :? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:10 am 

Well actually I meant fun in a sarcastic manner....lol. Discharge isn't always herpes so don't hesitate to get it checked out for yeast and bacterial infections too.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:44 pm 

I've had lot's of yeast infestions so I know the difference. This is way different. But thanks and I'll keep my eyes open for anything different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:31 pm 

Just an update Betsy.

One of my guys, I'll call him East Coast (the 1st one I was with) got his test results back and he is Neg. He still wants to be sexual with me. (He is special). I am staying with him now while I am away on another part of my business. I am scared of infecting him. I am not having an ob and I am on Valtrex as we talked about before. I took it for the 3 days and never had the ob and I knew I was going to get to see him so I just went to once a day. I have given him oral sex but have not let him touch me because I am afraid. He has read all of the info and web sites including this one and feels he knows the risks and feels safer with me knowing I am Pos then if he was with someone else and not knowing if they were pos.

He says he has some friends that have been together for years and she is pos and he isn't and they are fine.

I'm 51 and he's 41 and says he's old enough to know the risks and make the choice and take the measures to be safe. Should I just relax and be thankful he still cares enough to be with me? I'm still in shock that I'm Pos.

So a question about the Valtrex. Do I just take it when I"m going to be visiting my friend which is maybe every 6 to 8 weeks or do I have to take it all of the time? I notice it says it hasn't been tested for use over a year? Are people taking it over a year with success?

As for the other guy (I'll call West Coast) he hasn't even taken the test but I have told him that the other ones test came out Neg.

Thanks as always for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:17 am 

Well yes he is old enough to make his own decisions :) It sounds like he's aware of the small risk and feels that you are more than worth it sweetie! Really at our age what is herpes compared to psycho ex's, kids, aging parents and all the emotional baggage we've been carrying around with us for so long? At least you can take a pill and make most of the herpes issue go away ;)

Yes you can stay on valtrex for much longer than a year. I know it gets confusing to see that 1 year part of the prescribing info but there are folks who have been on it for as long as it's been out. J Infect Dis. 2002 Oct 15;186 Suppl 1:S40-6. has an article that talks about the 20+ years of acyclovir use and how it's assumed valtrex is just as safe for long term use since it's an acyclovir prodrug. I'd list a direct link to the article but the JID website seems to be down this morning . I've been taking antivirals suppressively more than I haven't in the 21 years I've had hsv2. I'm usually on acyclovir because it's dirt cheap for me and I have had some questionable issues with valtrex in the past so I just stay on it. I'm quite used to remembering to take pills twice a day at this point so that's not an issue for me. They really are THAT safe.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:52 am 

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JID/jo ... 74.web.pdf is the link to the article - finally the website seems to be working right!

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:48 pm 

Took me a while to pull up the article and while it did talk in a lot of Dr. speak the basic thing is that like you said, long term therapy looks good.

Now I have to talk to my Dr. about putting me on the daily Valtrex instead of just giving me the prescription for the outbreaks. I hope it will keep my ob to a minimum.
I know I have to reduce stress and try to live healthier (which was on my to do list) to help to reduce ob. But like you said, an elderly mom, spouses who don't care or ex's, life in general, all intrude, so I will do what I can as I can.

Being with my East Coast friend is helping me a lot. I have a few more days with him before I head for home on Thursday and will make the most of them. :D

Your advice as always was helpful.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]