ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Test Results
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:59 pm 

Hi guys,

I posted a week ago. I was worried because of someone I was with had found out they had herpes. Well I went for my second test after waiting 3 long months and it came back negative. My questions are:

If it was negative for both Igm, and IGG for type 1 and 2 after 3 months...can I be sure I don't have herpes?

In my first test I had a positive IgM and negative Iggs for both types. I was told that IgM is often falsely positive. This tests IgM as well as Igg were all negative...what could have caused the false positive IgM the first time around?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:47 am 

The igm should've never been drawn on you either time. It was a total waste of your time and money both times. If you are getting these blood tests drawn thru your regular doctor I will gladly provide you with an article for your doctor that they should read to better understand why they aren't doing their clients any service by ordering the igm test.

If you tested negative for hsv1 and hsv2 3 months after the last possible exposure then it's very, very unlikely that you have herpes. The blood tests do still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections but I'd have confidence in your hsv2 result especially.

Congrats and get back to enjoying your life to the fullest :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:23 am 

Thanks again for you help. One thing about the results I was looking at the two test results. The first one I got read:

HSV 1 IGG HERPES SELECT AB 0.12 O.OO-0.89 INDEX
HSV 2 IGG HERPES SELECT AB 0.03 0.00-0.89 INDEX

My new results read:
HSV 1, IGG 0.25 0.00-0.89 INDEX
HSV 2, IGG 0.39 0.00-0.89 INDEX

Should I be worried about this increase in numbers?

Thanks so much for all your help. I really am glad that I know about the H community and I feel that everyone was so helpful with me going thru this period of not knowing. I really appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:30 am 

Also could you provide me with that article you mentioned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:03 am 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... s=16098855 is the article your doctor wants to read. The info on igm testing is on page 2. I'm sure your doctor has access to the article since unfortunately it's not offered free on the web.

There is no significance whatsoever to the differences in your testing values. You will not get a 0 due to the way the test is performed. That's why everything under 1.1 is considered negative.

betsy

Post subject: Safe sex reminder
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:50 am 

itsme,

After this scare, I would think carefully about the 'safe sex' message and using barrier methods like male or female condoms in future. Reducing numbers of sexual partners is also protective. It's probably best to try to find the 'right' person for you for a long-term relationship that you want to commit to, and then deal with it if it turns out they have HSV (using suppressive therapies, condoms, and waiting for an anti-viral miracle cure to be developed). I'm not moralising here, or instructing you on what constitutes a 'proper' relationship, just that these things are protective, and if I had known about HSV before I caught it, those are the things I would have done in my 2 years between relationships -- better to be safe than sorry...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]