ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Confusing Blood Test
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:28 pm 

I just was tested for STDs as I have every year. However, this time they did a blood test for Herpes instead of a culture (which always came up negative). They did the HSV2-igg test and it came back at 12 but I have never had any symptoms. I had them retest me and this time it came back at 10. I just had a yeast infection 3 times in 1.5 months due to medication I was taking for a sinus infection so could this have given me a false positive?

The Dr. that saw me was not my regular OB/GYN/ Oncologist but one of the nurse practioners and she said that the results were exteremely accurate. However, I went back to see my Dr. and explained what I have been through for the past 2 months and he immediately asked me if I had chicken pox as a kid. Yes, I did. He said they have been seeing that people are testing positive for HSV2 because they had chicken pox anitbodies and the test cannot disquinish that. I told him this conflicted with what the nurse in the office was telling me. He was going to speak with her to see why she was telling patients they were positive for HSV2 when in fact they may not be. I have never had any symptoms or outbreaks and my current partner and my last partner of 6+ years ago also got tested this week and they are negative.

Is this true that my postive HSV test is really caused from chicken pox anitbody? I have not found anything online to subtantiate this. My Dr. is the best in the DC Metro area and the north eastern states so I find it hard to believe that his office would give conflicting info on test results.

I am desperately confused at this point! :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:14 pm 

I need you to get a copy of your blood test results and to post their numeric value here. I need to know if your results of 10 and 12 are really that or 1.0 and 1.2 or a combined hsv1 &2 result of 10 and 12. I can't really help you until we figure out what test you had done.

Getting tested for hsv yearly with a lesion culture is a total waste of time unless you had an obvious lesion at the time to culture. Otherwise it relies on you actively shedding the virus at the time which isn't something that happens 24/7, 365 to be picked up on in that manner. I wouldn't consider any of the testing for herpes you had prior to this to be worthwhile at all :(

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]