ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:33 pm 

Hi,

I'm concerned that I may have contracted herpes via oral sex. My girlfriend gets coldsores when shes under stress and she had one that went away a little under a week ago. She performed oral sex on me (without protection this weekend...today i have a weird tingly feeling down there and I'm freaked out that I may have contracted herpes from her...

I read that there is viral shedding, so I'm scared that she had that and passed it on to me.

What do others think about this? Can I get tested even though it just happened and there are no blisters/sores?

Thank you greatly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:18 am 

Can you recall ever having a cold sore yourself? Have you ever had a herpes blood test to see what your hsv status is?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:39 am 

Hmmm...I do think I've had cold sores, but I don't think I've ever had a blood test to see if I have...

thats why i dont know what good having a test will do, bc if I've already had a cold sore, then getting a positive hsv2 result, won't mean anything...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:36 pm 

what would you suggest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:40 pm 

If you already have hsv1 orally yourself then you aren't likely to contract it genitally thru oral sex. It can still happen but the chances of it happening are greatly reduced. Cold sores are almost always hsv1.

Without an obvious genital lesion there's nothing you can do at this point. Should you develop one then see your doctor for a lesion culture but it sounds like you really don't have a lot to worry about.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:31 am 

Betsy,

Thanks so much for your help…I have just a couple more questions

I asked my mother and she said she remembered me “maybe” having something that looked like a cold sore when I was younger…would that mean I have the hsv1 antibodies if it was indeed a coldsore?

I have a doctors apt today and I was wondering if I should ask to get the HSV1 test…if it comes back positive, would that mean I had the antibodies in the past or because I just got it? I guess what my question is, is: is there a “window period” from when you get it to when you come back with the antibodies (since the oral sex occurred just a few days ago)…

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:34 pm 

I'd get tested for hsv1 and hsv2 if you are going to bother to get tested. Might as well cover all the bases if you are going to do it.

A + hsv1 igg now would mean that you've had hsv1 before this. If it's negative and then turns up + later on then that might indicate a newly acquired infection. I say might because even the best tests we have for hsv1 now still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. They aren't quite as helpful as the hsv2 blood tests are.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:47 pm 

So I went to the Dr and I don't have either HSV1 or 2...at least not yet...so I don't have the antibodies.

I have still been experiencing tingling and burning...and now, i feel it more on the right side of my genital area and sometimes my right leg feels sore. Does that sound consistent with herpes?

I'm just in so much shock that it seems like I'm going to get genital herpes from her when it was a week after she healed over but never got anything on my face when I kissed her when she actually had a coldsore.

It just seems wrong.

What do you think? Is it possible to kiss a lot of ppl and never get hsv1 but then get it vaginally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:35 pm 

Part 2 of this question: how long until antibodies from this event could/should start showing up in antibody tests??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:39 pm 

It can take up to 3 months for antibodies to appear. I think you are worrying about this that you are noticing symptoms. Try to relax since you very well might not have contracted genital herpes.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:18 pm 

Im getting nervous again.

I took a 5 day regiment of Famclovir...and I thought I was good. My significant other went down on me about 6 days ago and 4 days after, I started feeling similar symptoms -- almost felt more aware of my genital (almost like a horny feeling - I guess because it was tingly).

Anyway, I looked in my vagina to see if there was anything, and to the right of my clitoris there is an area that is redish...and when I touch it, it doesnt feel good. I did it to the other side for comparison and the other side didnt feel that way.

I'm going to the gyno in 3 days, and I'm wondering if they'll be able to tell from this. I mean, I know they suusally need a swab of an active lesion, but can they get an accurate result from sampling that area? Also, Besty, does it sound like herpes to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:10 pm 

I think you are way too worried about this at this point. If you didn't have hsv1 before this and you had a hsv1 genital ob - chances are good that it would be a "classic" type ob. Trust me when I say that it's not something you'd wonder if it was herpes or not. You'd KNOW. Try to relax about all this - you're just making yourself more anxious about it all.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:13 pm 

thanks so much for your reassurance betsy! I really needed it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:21 am 

So I know you don’t think I have anything to worry about, and I truly want to believe that I don’t…but I keep experiencing symptoms.

I’ve been experiencing symptoms in my vagina in one specific area…(to the right of my clitoris) – like short little jolts (kinda hard to describe), but its persistent…though sometimes its in the whole area, its moer just in that spot. I’ve also been experiencing tingling/weirdness on the left side of my butt and sometimes on the upper portion of my right leg…a few days ago it ached a good deal and I took two advils which didn’t work.

I should also mention that 1-2 weeks after my concern, I asked my dr to give me an antiviral so I took like 5 days work of famclovir (sorry for spelling if incorrect). So I’m wondering if this just stopped me from having a full break out and I’m just experiencing some of the symptoms, and not the full thing…

Your thoughts are appreciated…and again, I’m sorry for bringing it up again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:23 am 

sorry I meant the right side of my anus...its all been on the Right side...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next