ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:17 am 

So last Tuesday afternoon I noticed a sore on my genital area...the skin around it was red and a little swollen and it looked, in all honesty, like a chancre sore on my vulva. I called my doctor and they said they couldn't get me in until this past Monday. Well, I went to the doctor Monday and that's when I found out I have GW....when I asked her about the sore, she acted confused like she didn't know what I was talking about.

She goes, "No, those bumps are genital warts." And I said, "No, I'm not talking about those little tiny bumps, there is a bright red sore on the left side of my vulva....how can you not see it?" So she asked me to point it out to her, and I did. She glanced at it and goes, "Well, it MAY be herpatic, but it looks like it's clearing up so I can't take a culture test to determine that. You'll have to wait to see if you get another one and then schedule a same day appointment with me."

I left her office completely frustrated and very upset. Not only because I found out i have gw, but because she acted so nonchalant about the sore. The damn thing is STILL there, though it isn't hurting very much anymore. But it's been bothering me a lot because it itches really bad. I don't know what it is, I didn't have any like "warning" symptoms before it showed up, and the only other symptom I've had with it is just that it's been itching a lot the past 2 days. Is it itching so much because it's healing and the skin is scabbing over??

I'm so confused and a little scared because I would like to know what it is and why I got it....but my doctor acted like it was no big deal. So, I called my local Planned Parenthood and I have an appointment there in 2 weeks.

Any advice????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:54 pm 

Is she going to do anything for the genital warts at all? Have you been getting any treatment for them?

An appointment 2 weeks from now really isn't going to be very helpful. Honestly at this point I"d just cancel it. It's too late to get a culture of your lesion at that point ( it's too late now even ) and it's still too early to get a type specific herpes igg blood test if this is a newly acquired infection for you. Have you ever had a herpes blood test before?D oy ou have a history of cold sores at all?

When you were at the doctor's monday - did they just do a visual exam or did they also test your vaginal secretions for yeast and bacterial infections?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:47 pm 

Yes, she treated the warts with this acid stuff that burned like hell! Most of the warts have already dried up and fallen off (I can't be sure if they're all gone or not...it looks like they are, but I'm going to go back to the doctor in 2 weeks just to be sure).

She didn't do any other test except my pap. All she did was look at the sore and say, "Well, it looks like it's healing. It may be herpatic, but it may not be. But I can't do anything about it unless another one shows up."

No, I've never had cold sores or anything like this before. I didn't have any warning symptoms like some people get with herpes like itching or burning beforehand. It just itches a lot now, but maybe because the sore is healing?? I'm not sure.

This is just so confusing!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]