ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Valtrex Side Effects
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:35 pm 

Hello Betsy-

Although I have not been diagnosed with HVS1 or 2 I'm concerned I may have been exposed in a recent oral encounter. It's only been a week since my encounter but I can't continue to function propely not knowing so I went in for a full blood test to determine my future. Anticipating the worst I'm reading plenty of good things about Valtrex in terms of how it works but I have yet to read much about any side effects this drug may cause. If you or anyone of your members can share thier experience I would be greatful...thanks!

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:23 am 

Sounds like you are being very anxious about an encounter? If so - even though it seems like just about everyone is getting hsv1 genitally nowadays - it still doesn't prefer to infect the genital area. Definitely keep a general eye out on things down yonder but don't be obsessive about it. Hsv1 is the biggest risk when it comes to oral sex but the majority of folks who contract it genitally only got it there because they had never had it orally so they tend to get a primary genital ob. Trust me when I say you aren't going to easily miss a primary ob so unless you have obvious lesions and a lot of pain - don't spend a lot of time inspecting your genital area for the next couple of weeks. We all have encounters that we wish later on that we didn't. We certainly do not all contract std's from them. Should you notice any lesions - see your doctor for a lesion culture and typing.

The most common side effects from all 3 herpes antivirals are headache, nausea and abdominal pain.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:14 pm 

Hi Betsy-

Thanks for the quick response! A bit anxious is an understatement based on the impact this could have on my personal relationship situation. However the great news is my test for HSV2 came back negative but the HSV1 came back positive with a 1.4 rating. I have been told more than likely I already had HSV1 since I have experienced cold sores in my mouth many years ago prior to my stumble. I have also been told outside of "Blistex" or other types of oral care products there is not much to else to do should I experience an ob orally. Based on your response below it appears an ob of HSV1 in the gential area is possible. Or does it travel north to find a home even though contraction takes place south? Should the gential region show signs of an ob how does it compare to HSV2 ob in terms of pain/sores etc.? Is Valtrex used in HSV1 of the gential region too? I would rather avoid, who wouldn't, side effects if possible.

Thanks again!

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:55 am 

If you already have hsv1 orally - you aren't very likely to contract it genitally later on. The risk is too small to worry about. You are very, very unlikely to contract hsv2 thru just oral sex whether you were giving and/or receiving.

Yes you can treat oral herpes with antivirals too. Both the famvir and the valtrex websites have info on cold sores and treating them with their products.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]