ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Having kids????
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:45 am 

I tried to be careful and use protection as much as possiable but i guess one person all it took and i'm not sure if she even knows she has it and i've noticed some different things over the time and now i got another out break and so i really questioned it and looked up on it and found out its this and what worries me now is wonderin, Can i still have kids without passin it on or killin the baby or givin it to my wife if i'm at a point of not breakin out or anythin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:38 am 

yep, you can still have kids. Talk to your doctor. As I understand it (and I am NOT a doctor) is that the only danger is if your wife gets herpes during the pregnancy, particularly the latter part of the pregnancy. Also, if she has an outbreak when she's due, the baby will be delivered by caesarean section instead of labor and delivery.

Get some real medical advise, but yes, you can absolutely still have kids. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:12 pm 

Hi sadpassent, Mike here with ASHA. KC is right - you can have kids. A male or female with herpes can have children. A few things:

-It is true that a baby can contract herpes and that it can be a life-threatening situation, but it's rare for a baby to contract the virus. Most parents with herpes have healthy babies.

-Herpes is not produced in semen and would have no bearing on conceiving a child. In other words, a woman can become pregnant without contracting the virus from the male.

-If a woman is pregnant and doesn't have genital herpes, it is important to make sure that she not get the virus during the third trimester. A pregnant woman contracting genital herpes in the 3rd trimester is the highest risk to an infant. This is because the woman has no immune system built up to the virus and has not been able to pass on her immune system to the infant

-A woman who has herpes prior to becoming pregnant or who contacts it in the 1st or 2nd trimester will actually help her baby. She will develop antibodies (body's defense system) and pass antibodies to the infant during the pregnancy. This provides a level of protection to a baby during pregnancy.

-Talking the health care provider about the situation is recommended.

-Health care provider should do a thorough, visual exam at the onset of labor to check for herpes symptoms.

-Most pregnant women with herpes do not need a C-section.

-Once born, the risk is from being kissed by someone with a cold sore on the mouth (oral herpes). Anyone with a cold sore should not kiss an infant until the symptoms have completely healed.

-To learn more, you can go to the section of our website: http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_le ... gnancy.cfm

-Our Managing Herpes book is great too

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:20 am 

:? oKAY! Hmm. I'm trying to get preganet not like tommorow or nothing but my partner is clean. I have H. So i mean is it a fact that he would get it if we were trying to get preganet :?: PLEASE HELP :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:57 am 

Has your partner been tested to know that indeed he's hsv2 negative? If not then he might want to consider getting tested to know what his status is now to see if you even have to take precautions or not.

Assuming that he is still hsv2 negative and you two do absolutely nothing but avoid sex during your obvious ob's then he is 96% likely each year NOT to contract your hsv2. Pretty reasonable odds with pretty little effort for the most part. You can also take daily suppressive therapy until you confirm your pregnancy to help protect him so that he's 98% likely NOT to contract your hsv2 each year - with today's home pregnancy test you can do that even before you actually miss your period so you have plenty of time to stop the antivirals before your body even establishes a blood supply to the fetus so that there is very low risk ( if any even - there are no known risks at this time ). Some couples even go as far as to continue to use condoms - just cut a hole in the tip so sperm can get out.

There's no reason to suspect that just because you are trying to get pregnant that your partner is going to contract your hsv2 - the risk actually isn't much higher than the sex you usually have normally thankfully :)

Good luck with your baby making :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:20 am 

:o Oh My GOD!!! You have made my Day at Work!!! =) I have to ask is there a Website that i can look at that I could actually send my Partner? Also are you like a medical personnel. I hope thats not a silly :P QUESTIONS...... :wink: thanks alot....!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:55 am 

Well I did play a lot of doctor growing up....he he he ;)

No seriously - I do this as a "hobby" but I consider myself quite informed on it. I have completed quite a bit of herpes education, keep up on the newest info and have been participating on various online boards for many, many years now. I do have a medical background but I am not here as a licensed professional - I am here as just another gal who's been living with genital herpes who wants to help others live the same terrific life with it she's lived :)

As for your partner - I don't usually plug us here but the herpes homepage is a terrific place to get support and information. Your partner can even privately contact one of the moderators to talk to via email if he wants to keep it private and off the web. There are some terrific people over there :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:11 pm 

Hello! I've out of the loop for a while... My partner and i are near eachother again. Since i've been gone. No he is asking about the information that you {bestyb1967}. Gave me...You had something about us having a normal SEX life while we try to get preganet. But the web site thats under MIKE message. says it is best if we use condoms. but okay I'm confused..... HELP!!! :oops: I would really like to enjoy my Love life3 with HIM!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:40 am 

If you two do nothing but avoid sex during obvious ob's - his risk is around 4% each year of contracting hsv2 from you. If you are on daily suppressive therapy his risk is cut in half. throw condoms into the whole mix and he's looking on average at a 1% risk each year of contracting hsv2 from. there really isn't a statistical difference between 1% & 2% ( ok so one can even argue that there isn't a difference between 1% and 4% but that's a whole different topic! ). You can stay on suppressive therapy until you confirm your pregnancy to help protect him. it's up to the two of you after that point if you just want to avoid sex during symptoms during your pregnancy or use condoms while pregnant to lower his risk.

Obviously it's going to be easier to get pregnant if you aren't using condoms...he he he. You can cut a hole in the tip to let sperm out but in a long term monogamous relationship - there's usually a point where you start accepting the little bit higher risk of transmission.

It's always the two of you's choice as to what precautions you utilize if any. You don't have to use the whole shebang unless it's your own personal preference.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]