ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: HIV
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:34 am 

I had protected vaginal sex with an unknown female. I developed a cold sore on the corner of my mouth about two weeks later. Twenty five days after initial exposure I had a blood test to test for STDS. Results came back positive for herpe-2(hsv-2 IgG-4.9, hsv IgM I/II combination 1.27).
The HIV test (PCR by DNA) was negative.

However besides the cold sore on my lip, now gone, I have now developed two sores on the side of my tongue. I have seen my doctor and he said to have another HIV teat after the first of the year. I am going crazy thinking these are early symptoms of stage II HIV or are they normal symtoms of the herpes virus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:42 am 

25 days is close enough to the 1 month hiv test minimum time ( depends on the test you had done ). It sounds like your doctor is recommending to repeat the test to err on the side of caution more so than because you were at high risk. Only about 1% of adults in the US have hiv so unless you are in a high risk group or having sex with someone in a high risk group the chances of you contracting it are rather low plus you wore a condom so the risk was practically nil. I'm not even sure it's worth the money to repeat the blood test since it was protected sex.

Have you ever had a herpes blood test before? About half of folks will test + on the test by 2-3 weeks after infection but it's hard to tell if this is a newly acquired hsv2 infection or not. Were you also tested for hsv1? Totally disregard your igm results - it was a useless combined test for starters and also the herpes igm blood tests aren't accurate so they aren't recommended to be used routinely. Your doctor wasted your money on that one.

The lesions on your tongue may or may not be herpes. recurrences of oral herpes tend to be around the lip area and not on the tongue. It sounds like you have something else going on besides herpes. Not something bad mind you - you can can all sorts of mouth ulcers from many things like irritation, trauma etc. You can even get them from tooth pastes and teeth whitening products along with spicey foods. If you continue to get these perhaps consult a different doctor if your regular doctor isn't able to get to the bottom of it all for you.

betsy

Post subject: herpes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:45 am 

I now show a show signs of a blister forming on the palm of my right hand. It is a small red raised bump with a white pinhead in the center.

Post subject: herpes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:58 am 

I also noticed both palms of my hands have white spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:19 pm 

You aren't very likely to have herpes on your hands.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]