ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Terrified
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:58 am 

I am a 39 year old married male with two kids under 5 years old. I am pretty sure I have genital herpes judging by everything I have read online. I have had bumps in the past on my penis but it never occurred to me that it could be herpes. The last few times they look more like pimples with white centers. I thought it was poison oak or a rash. I was stupid to be so naieve (sp?). Since I have come to this realization, I feel like I am going crazy. Everytime I have an itch on my body, I think Oh god, it's everywhere. I know this is stupid. I am terrified of giving it to my kids. I don't think I could live with myself if I gave it to them. I wash my hands thoroughly before touching them because I was afraid of giving them poison oak. My big fear is that I give them a bath, I always use a washcloth with soap and I have never touched their genitals because the thought just disturbs me. Now I have washed them probably 25 times a day the last few days. My wife and I are not very active sexually, mostly because of a busy schedule. I have never taken any chances with sex, again, because I was afraid of it being poison oak. I know I need to see a doctor, but I haven't yet. I am somewhat paralyzed by fear, but I put up a good front. I have a fairly high profile position in the community and I am afraid of someone finding out. Also, I need to tell my wife, I know, I am afraid she will leave me and I will lose my kids. I am so confused and depressed. Sorry for unloading, but I don't know where else to turn.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:26 pm 

I washed my hands 25 times a day not my kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:51 am 

From the sounds of things if you do have herpes then you've probably had it for awhile? Put it in perspective - you didn't manage to spread it all over your body when you were completely oblivious to it all - why in the world would you spread it all over now? From the time you are infected with herpes your body starts making protective antibodies to keep you from spreading the virus elsewhere. After the initial infection it's not likely to happen. No reason to obsessively wash your hands either - just practive regular hygiene - wash your hands after using the toilet or touching your genitals ( you know like masturbating and such type touching ). The virus actually isn't all that easily spread and it's very easily killed with soap and water. Your children are not at risk for contracting the virus. Unless you are getting naked and having intimate contact with someone it's not a risk to them.

Go see your doctor and find out what is going on. This could be many things. If you don't have symptoms when you go to be seen you can get a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your status is. Don't continue to allow yourself to sit at home and obsess over this and get overly anxious about it - follow up on it and find out what is really going on.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:45 am 

Thanks Betsy. I am not usually irrational at all. I have never been this irrational and should know better. I'm can deal with it for myself, I have been freaking out about the kids. I fell into the trap of reading everything possible online and driving myself crazy. Thanks for the response. Your site is the best I have seen. Thanks again

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]