ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:28 pm 

In a tricky relationship situation...my boyfriend and I were recently apart for 2 weeks, during which he complained of being fatigued and having a fever for a couple of days (by phone). Upon being reunited, I noticed that he had crusted over blisters/scabs on the base his penis. I was immediately concerned about the possibility of STDs, and we agreed to get tested, something we did through an online company that referred us to a Lab-corp. Test results received today told us that he is negative for HSV 1 or 2, yet I am positive for both. I was a bit surprised, though due to my youthful promiscuity not completely shocked. In my shock, I neglected to get the names of the tests performed, and obviously the number results. (results were given over the phone.) I will call back tomorrow to find out just what tests were used, as well as specific results...my question, though, is this: My BF and I have been together for 1.5 years, and do not use condoms. (I've never recognized any kind of outbreak in myself, either oral or genital.) If he was recently exposed, and was experiencing ihs first outbreak, is it possible that a blood test would not pick up on it yet? (Test done 7 days after his first fever complaint, with scabs present) We are concerned about a false negative. Also, how soon (or long) after exposure do symptoms typically develop? He will be seeing a Dr and potentially retesting...if it turns out he is +, I'm a little concerned about WHO he actually got it from (his symptoms are rather classic, based on my research). We hadn't had sex very recentlly previous to my departure (the 2 week separation)...how long can the virus be in the body prior to an initial OB? Thanks so much for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:41 pm 

It can take up to 3 months for a newly acquired infection to show up on the blood tests.

when was the last time you two had sex before this symptoms?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:43 am 

Not exactly sure....a couple of weeks before I went out of town...which still puts me as the most likely suspect based on your 3 month answer. I'm not terribly concerned about his fidelity...just odd that it creeps up after I've left, and since I'm + (and have been for who knows how long, apparently), thiat I haven't passed it on previously. Fortunately, he is completely open-minded about my status, will be examined/retested himself, just so we know, and has no interest in changing anything about our relationship, all risks understood. My next question would be one of suppression therapy, as I'd rather not pass it on if he is indeed - ...is it absolutely necessary? And is Valtrex generally a viable option for everyone? I'm not great at taking pills, and can't imagine getting into the habit of 2 a day....thanks for your time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:17 pm 

You don't have to take daily suppressive therapy unless you want to. It's totally a choice between you and your partner. Perhaps wait and repeat his blood test in another month and then go from there.

If you can get a copy of the numeric results of your blood test I"ll gladly take a look at them to make sure that you don't need any additional confirmatory testing.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]