ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Coming to the Light
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:24 am 

Hey All,
I am nervous about this whole group. Firstly, let me start off by saying I have had herpes for 7 1/2 years. Not very many people know. Only my sex partners have been informed. I have read the discussion boards and seen that it is highly suggested to wait 3months after exposure for an accurate test result. And I have also seen that you can wait 3 weeks and still get an accurate result. Betsy B. I guess I would be asking for definite confirmation in the accuracy of the testing. How long should it really take for an outbreak. When I contracted it I had an outbreak within 3-4 hours. I am just not coming to grips on how someone could have it for a year and not know. I know that evry body is different but is there a reason Icould have reacted so fast to the virus? I have been told that I could potentially have had the virus before my one night stand (condom broke) but I don't think so. I do not think I am a late reactor? I really believe I caught it that one night. Give me your thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:13 pm 

A newly acquired infection will not show obvious symptoms within 3-4 hours. Either you already had herpes and didn't know it or the symptoms you had weren't actually herpes at that time. How were you diagnosed? Do you know if you have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally?

How can someone be infected for months/years and not know it? Pretty easy in fact I fit that category myself for about the first year I was infected. The only reason I knew I had hsv2 was because I passed it onto a partner and never realized it. After he came to me and told me he was pretty sure he got hsv2 from me I put 2+2 together about a lot of things that had happened several months before. I never had a "real" ob that was obviously herpes until over a year into my infection. Also what frequently happens is folks ( including medical professionals ) assume that if you had herpes you've know it and have frequently reoccuring and very painful and obvious blisters to let you know that you were infected. The vast majority of folks who have genital herpes don't get those though. It's more likely to be more subtle symptoms or be things that are easily attributed to other causes like redness, itching, discharge, frequency of urination, anal symptoms etc. One study showed that in folks who tested + for hsv2 on the blood test who thought that they had never had a symptom of infection before - with proper education about 80% of them were able to start recognizing symptoms of recurrences from there on out. being infected and not knowing it is far more common than knowing you are infected unfortunately.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:17 pm 

So your saying I could have had herpes prior to the one night stand. Ok, i am a little confused. I never showed any symptoms. As I recall, prior to the incident. I can't remember having any redness, or bumps, or irritation. I had been tested for stds before but i never recall a herpes test. Frequent urination or yeast infections (diagnosed by an ob/gyn). I was tested via a culture swab because I had an outbreak which has been leading me to believe that i contractedfrom the one-night stand. Now you are saying that I could not and would not have shown symptoms so early and fast...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:30 am 

Herpes is often misdiagnosed as frequent urination and yeast infections :( Were they testing your vaginal secretions for yeast or just looking at the discharge and saying yeast /self diagnosis of yeast?

At this point you won't be able to accurately determine when you contracted it. A newly acquired infection though will not show up a few hours after the sex act. It really sounds like you were infected and never knew it.

betsy

Post subject: coming 2 grips
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:25 pm 

I am really ready to attend this meeting in my area. I am now wondering how long I actually had it. Its kind of irrelevant but I blamed someone else. However, I had my reasons because after I called him and told him I had it...he refused all my following calls and I never heard from him again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]