ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:28 am 

If a person is asymptomatic and never has an outbreak. could the test results still come back false? I have looked at the different test types and they all recommend the 12-16 week wait window. I am a little confused. Confused because I could have exposed a partner to the virus. Its been almost 3weeks and they have not had any symptoms. Is it true the virus can enter the body dormant? am i using the correct terms?

Finally coming to the light and seeking help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:16 pm 

I think I understand what you are asking. If I don't - just rephrase your question and hopefully I can help you :)

If you are going to get obvious symptoms of a newly acquired infection they will occur within the first 2-20 days after being infected. Most folks get such mild symptoms though that they don't even notice any symptoms. Several studies have confirmed that over 90% of those infected with hsv2 - have no idea until tested. That said - not only is it possible that you didn't infect your partner - it's quite probable that you didn't. If you both feel that confirmatory follow up testing is necessary in a few weeks feel free to do so - that's totally up to the both of you and what your situation is. Has your partner ever had a herpes blood test before to have a baseline?

betsy

Post subject: Question answered
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:21 pm 

Thank you Betsy B. you did answer my question. I am going to a dinner for people living and dealing with herpes. I found it off this page. Thank you so much for all the info on here. I hope that the in-person meeting with people who are like me is helpful and healing. I have been living like I feel in the dark for so long and now I have to come out and embrace having herpes. Again, thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:33 am 

Oh good!! I think it's helpful to be able to just sit and talk about herpes with others without any fear :) It's something we don't often get to do in day to day life so having the chance to see "real" folks also living with the virus is important I think. we really are just normal folks living with an incredibly common viral infection :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]