ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Type 2 non genital?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:17 am 

First, thanks to everyone that makes this board possible and to those that post - what a wonderful community!

I'm seeing a woman who has had type 2 for over 10 years and I commend her for telling me before we got "too" involved. My understanding is she does not have the virus in her genitals, rather in two spots on her skin away from the vulva and therefore using a condom will NOT protect from transmittal. (Yes I understand this is still considered genital herpes).

Reading various posts and other sites I also understand shedding is possible with no obvious o.b. Since I have not found specific answers my questions are:

1. Would it be fair to say that condom use in this case would not significantly decrease the risk of transmitting h to me?

2. I've seen comments that it is rare for type 2 to be transmitted to a partner through oral sex. Is this accurate in both directions between someone who has h and someone who does not?

3. If 1 and 2 are accurate, is there any indication that covering the 2 suspected spots with surgical tape when there is no o.b. would effectivly act as a barrier to reduce the chance of transmittal?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:22 pm 

Kudo's to you for taking the time to learn more!! You've come to the right place :)

Your partner has genital herpes. Even though her symptoms up until now are not on the actual genitals but on the skin around the genitals - she is still shedding the virus during ob's from the entire anogenital area during ob's and periodically in between ob's. So when she has ob's - yes totally avoid sex until her symptoms are gone. When she doesn't have lesions present - a condom will help to lower your risk because she's not shedding the virus actively from the thicker skin in the pubic hair area like she is from the softer, mucosal skin of her actual anogenital area. Does that makes sense?

Have you ever had a herpes blood test to know your status? Does your partner have hsv1 or hsv2? How does she treat her herpes?

as for oral sex - yes you could contract hsv2 orally but it's more likely to occur genitally than orally. Only about 3% of all oral herpes infections are due to hsv2. It happens but not often. Your partner being on daily suppressive therapy would help to lower your risk significantly no matter if it's oral sex , genital sex or anal sex.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:21 am 

Betsy:

Thanks for the reply.

We are talking about hsv2. I understand fully the need to abstain from contact during ob's. If I am understanding what you are saying, the virus will shed from areas other than where the ob's appear, especially if it is the softer tissue within the genitals. If this is the case then why wouldn't it be likely to transmit this through kissing?

I'm told she takes meds when feeling an ob coming on & during but not on a daily basis. What are the possible long term issues with daily meds?

I've had blood work done annually including for std's but after reading numerous items I need to find out whether or not it included h.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:23 am 

Genital herpes is in the genital area. it doesn't travel throughout the body to be transmited thru contact with other areas and thru kissing. It also can't travel thru the thicker, more keratinized skin to shed thru it like it can thru the thinner mucosal skin.

There are absolutely no long term issues from daily suppressive therapy. I've been on it myself more than I haven't in the 21 years I've had hsv2.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]