ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help me figure this out!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:45 pm 

Hi, I am so confused right now, so I was wondering if someone could help me figure this out.

I have been dating the same person for a while, and recently I had a couple of small pink spots that developed into sores on my penis. I go to the doctor and they do a viral culture and it turns out positive. I start on acyclovir, then several days later I go back and they do a serology test to figure out if it's type 1 or 2. the results came back negative for both (both HSV-1 and 2, as well as IgG and IgM for both). The doc says it seems like a recent infection. But my partner tests negative on the serology! How can this be? I've heard about non-primary initial infection, but that is for people who have a positive serology, but a delayed initial infection.

My partner is supporting me through this, but I'm just so confused. In the past 4 years, I've been with two people. I know my partner hasn't cheated. It's so confusing and I've been depressed (but getting better), because the partner I'm with I know I will be with the rest of my life.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:46 am 

did the lesion culture you have done come back as + for hsv or specifically positive for hsv1 or hsv2? If you aren't sure - call and ask. If they didn't type it - ask them to please call the lab they use and see if they still have the specimen to type it for you. typing should routinely be done because it is important.

Did your partner have the igg blood test done?

this might be hsv1 genitally unless your lesion culture was hsv2+. Even with the best blood tests we have today they still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. Hopefully with a little more details we can figure this out!

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:29 am 

Hi Betsy,

First of all, THANKS so much for responding. It's encouraging that people are listening and these messages aren't floating around in cyberspace!

The lesion culture came back positive (I had the culture done about 5 days after they appeared - i couldn't sooner bc I was out of the country). Then a few days later I had the type testing (within 10 days of the first signs of the lesions), and my results were:

HSV-1 , IgG : 0.24
HSV-2 , IgG : 0.04
HSV , IgM : Not detected.

This is what is confusing to me, because I've only had one partner in the last 2 years. He was checked and his IgG results were negative. I know this was my initial infection because my lymph nodes in my groin were very swollen and tender, I had headaches and overall feelings of malaise and low energy (although that could be due to the psychological and emotional effects!). And there was a mild discomfort and pain when urinating. The only saving grace is the lesions did not hurt at all.

I had two lesions (on different sides of my penis). I completed the 10 days of acyclovir. On day 12 (a day and a half after completing acyclovir), a third pink little spot appeared, which looked like a lesion. the other two have healed 99%.

Should I ask for another type test?

Thanks again
DS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:39 pm 

When you say the lesion culture came back as + - did it come back as + for hsv1, hsv2 or just + for hsv and not typed specifically? If you aren't sure - call the clinic and ask.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:00 pm 

The culture came back just positive for HSV. The blood tests came out negative. I'm just really confused bc I was under the impression that if I was infected a while back (like years ago), then at least the blood test would be positive, correct?

My partner tested negative for HSV on the blood tests. That's why this is confusing and I'm trying to figure out when I contracted this....

Thanks!
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:08 pm 

It's unfortunate that the doctor didn't order your culture typed :( It would've saved you a lot of headaches if they had. If it's only been a week or two since it was done - call the doctor and ask them to call the lab and see if they still have the specimen to type it. Most labs keep them for a couple of weeks before they toss them so it's worth looking into.

Did your partner also have an igg blood test done?

At this point wait and repeat your blood test in 3 months. Be sure to get a copy of the results and post it here for help if it's not clearly hsv1 or hsv2 on the test. Should you get a return of symptoms - be sure to see your doctor within 48 hours of their appearance and ask for a repeat lesion culture and INSIST that they type it this time.

I know this isn't quick and easy answers but it's the best we can do since the doctor didn't order the specimen typed :(

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:38 am 

thanks a million betsy. i will see what i can do. otherwise i think i will have to just repeat the blood test. this comes at a very difficult time because i'm moving out of the country in a few weeks, and i won't have health insurance! well, hopefully the cost will be less...

you know what's frustrating? when i initially went to the doctor, i did some of my own research and was aware of the typing. so when the doctor did the swab test, i asked if they will type it, and she told me they only do that for academic reasons!!!

now that i have researched more, i discovered the importance of knowing a type, so that you are more well informed and this can determine the clinical course, number of outbreaks, etc.

well, i'll keep you posted. thanks again for your dedication to this site and helping a lot of 'faceless' people with real problems!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]