ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Update-Thanks Betsy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:06 pm 

Well here I am...almost 2 months post HSV2 diagnosis.

I'm glad to report that all symptoms have disappeared!! All systems are a go. The bad news (if you can call it that) is my soon to be hubby has also been diagnosed HSV2 positive. Strange to say that is a relief as now I don't have to worry so much about infecting him. Other than having to wait thru an outbreak, we're back to fully functioning on a sexual level. It wasn't easy. There was much self doubt, low self esteem, serious medical complications, but bless his heart, we kept the lines of communication open and we are stronger for it today.

My first ob was very severe (full lower body involvement) and I've had 3 subsequent ob's. I'm on daily suppresive therapy. My OB/GYN and I have decided that is the best thing to do for the first year. We can (together...yipee) gage the frequency of outbreaks and go from there. It took alot of work, proding and being agressive in my own care to achieve healthcare participation.

I've become active with my local OB/GYN to inform other physicians of the commonality of HSV2, the symptoms of an outbreak and trying to break the negative stigma associated with this issue. I'm surprised at the welcome response we've had. I've also started a support group at a local hospital with the help of the Health Promotions Department. The worst of it all was the lack of knowledge within the medical community. I have now opened the eyes of a few health care workers, given support to those newly and not so newly diagnosed, and we've set up a support network for those times when you just need to have someone to talk to (this includes psych involvement from the hospital). It's sad that healthcare has given up on the person as a whole. My HSV2 diagnosis was more emotionally devistating than it was physically. It was confusing to know where to turn for information (especially when I was treated like a whore by more than one clinician!) I'm grateful to this site and forum (Betsy in particular) for the support and information I've received.

This is not the end....just the beginning!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:38 pm 

WAY TO GO!!! I'm proud of you!!! I'm glad you were able to take this whole experience and turn it into something positive :) Have you thought about being a herpes HELP group so you can benefit from all the things ASHA has to offer? Also if you haven't already - find out who your local representative is for valtrex at GSK and contact them ( ask the pharmacy at the clinic/hospital you are having your meetings at ) and they can also give you a lot of useful info for yourself, the medical personel you are dealing with and also for the people with herpes who you are helping. They have dvd's of Terri Warren's patient counseling video which if you've never watched it you can see it for free on her website.

Keep it up :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]