ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:43 am 

My wife of twenty years was recently diagnosis with type 2 Herpes. I have been tested as of last week and the result was negative. How long can the incubation period be before the first outbreak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 pm 

Everyone thinks that if you had genital herpes, you'd know it in a heartbeat and be plagued with frequently reoccuring, very obvious and very painful blisters from the moment you were infected on. The reality is - the vast majority of folks who have hsv2 genitally are having either very mild symptoms that would never think are due to herpes or they are being misdiagnosed with the symptoms they are having ( both misdiagnosing themselves and unfortunately even healthcare providers misdiagnosing them ). It's quite common for someone to be infected for years and years and not have a clue that they were until they got an ob so painful and obvious that they finally get properly diagnosed. So yes it's quite possible that your wife had hsv2 since before she met you and neither her nor her doctor ever put 2+2 together. Since it's not routinely tested for this happens very frequently.

How was she diagnosed as having hsv2? Did she have a blood test or a lesion culture that came back as hsv2? Was it just a visual diagnosis?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:37 pm 

Thanks Betsy for the reply. My wife did the lesion culture test and it was positive. We both shared the same doctor and she advise me to get the blood test and it came back negative. I vaguely remenbered in college when we were dating that she did suffered from several yeast infections - could this be the initial outbreak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am 

Ask her if the lesion culture was + for herpes or if it was specifically positive for hsv2. Unfortunately they don't always type them and when they come back + they assume it's hsv2 and sometimes it's not. Did she have a blood test at all? Was your blood test negative for hsv1 and hsv2 both?

Herpes ob's can be misdiagnosed as being yeast infections. It depends on how much testing was done - sometimes they just do a visual, see redness and irritation and say it's yeast instead of doing a wet mount and examining the secretions under the microscope to look for yeast. It's hard to tell at this point.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]