ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Herpes Symptom
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:32 pm 

Hello Betsy

Another question for you.

I showed my Gynecologist my lab results for HSV II. The labcorp that came back positive at a 2.1 for HSV2 and 5.8 for HSV I and my 2 biokits that were negative. These test were done at 3 moths (labcorp and biokit) post exposure and 4 months post exposure (biokit). She says that she does not really know anything about the biokits and that she does not trust these results as true negative and has sent me to test again. What are the odds that the two biokits were false negatives?

I am panicking again because I am having butt pain and one pimple on the crease of my leg and apparently these are recurrent herpes outbreak symptom from what i have read on the internet? She just diagnosed me with Bacterial Vaginosis but I dont know it that could be causing my symptoms

In your experience what are the chances that the 2 I am HSV II positive (I have never had any symptoms)

Thanks you so much Betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:57 pm 

The biokits are considered a confirmatory test for hsv2 when the herpes select results are borderline.

Why not get the pimple you have cultured for herpes ?

If you are going to test again it should either be the herpes inhibition assay test # 17170 by quest labs or a herpes WB from the U of washington. I wouldn't retest with anything other than that at this point.

Don't underestimate what bv can do too. I've had a booger of a time with it myself and so have many other gals I know. We hate bv worse than we hate our herpes!

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:16 pm 

I should have had the pimple cultured but I asked the Gynecologist if she noticed anything abnormal and she said no. I think it's to late now

I will have the quest lab test done monday. but what do you think are my odds?

help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:47 pm 

Hello Betsy

It's me again

I had another Herpes Select by labcorp done 6 moths exactly after my exposure because my doctor says she does not use quest labs.

My results came back positive again for HSV II at 1.8 my last herpeselect at 3 months was reactive at 2.1. I did test positive for HSVI at 5.8

but my biokits were negative at 3 months and 4 months.

What do you think that I am positive or negative. This is a very emotional rollocoster.

And they do not know how to get a WB done for me.

Should I continue paying for these test? I have already spent around $2000.00 in trying to find out.

Please give me your advice once again. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:07 am 

http://depts.washington.edu/rspvirus/herpes.htm has all the info your doctor needs to order up a WB for you and get it sent out. Tell your doctor not to hesitate to call the lab and ask about it too - they willingly talk to anyone there and are very nice from what I"ve heard.

I'd get the WB done and hopefully you finally get answers!

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:28 am 

hello Betsy thank you for your respose.

I'm just curious to know why you recommend the quest lab test when the herpesselect returns a low positive. is the quest lab better or is a tie breaker or confirmatory test like the biokit?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:02 pm 

The inhibition test helps to rule out false positives due to hsv1. It looks at more parts of the igg response than the herpes select does is the way I understand it.

I recommend though that you get the WB drawn. I ran your situation past someone else and that was the opinion they gave me too.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:35 pm 

Hello Betsy

Last Friday I found a doctor that ordered a herpes inhibition assay test from quest diagnostics. My doctor called me and told me that the first test was completed and it has HSVII IGG test and it came back positive at 2.68 but that the herpes inhibition test was not completed yet. Does this test have to parts? Does this mean I am positive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:39 pm 

Sorry It was 2.16 close to my 2.1 from labcorp. Do they do a regular herpes test and then do the herpes inhibition one? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:27 pm 

well the inhibion part was sent to focus diagnostic and quest did a regular herpeselect because focus needs to know the reactive level before they do their part.
unfortuntely the inhibition was positive also. what does this mean? Dr. Hook advised me to get a westernblot once and for all. he thinks that since probably all my test are returning positive is because close to same test is being performed and that's why I am getting close to the same results.

what do u think. should I get a westernblot? or just accept reality :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:53 am 

I'm right with Dr hook - get a WB done and find out for once and for all what's going on. http://depts.washington.edu/rspvirus/herpes.htm is the website with all the info your doctor needs to send the WB out.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:33 pm 

Hey Betsy Welcome Back you sure were missed :wink:

Have you ever know of a herpes inhibition assay give a false positive. I have been trying to find someone to do the westernblot for me but my doctors are not very cooperative. I most likely will have to travel to seattle to have it done at a clinic close to that lab. Fortunately i live in california and I'm not that far (I just have to wait for airfare sale with southwest :D ). I dont want to ask any more doctors because I am sick of telling people I dont know that I may have herpes.

Could the two biokits have given my false negatives at 3 and 4 months. :cry:

Thanks
Betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:09 am 

There are just some folks who don't get the easy results from the blood tests that most folks get :( I think following up at the remington clinic if you can is the best plan at this point if your doctors near you aren't willing to send off the WB ( are you closer to the westover heights clinic in portland oregon? ). Sorry this has been such a testing nightmare for you :(

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]