ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do I know?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:45 pm 

I have a question that I previously thought I knew the answer to. I was diagnosed with herpes 6 years ago (genitaly). at that time I was not type tested so I'm not sure what type I have. I have always assumed type one for a few reasons:

#1 my first outbreak was terrible
#2 my partner at the time was blood tested after my diagnosis and came back positive for type 1.
#3 I have had only one or two outbreaks since and they were extremely mild and within the first year.

The question I have is, can I give Type I to someone by kissing on the mouth? Is it possible to have Type I in both places? And if so, how would I know (I've never had a cold sore).

This has caused somewhat of a sticky situation where someone I kissed may have ended up with a cold sore. One doctor visually said yes, another said no. By the time they swabbed it, it was weeks later so it came back negative. Visually to me it doesn't look like a cold sore, but I'm certainly not a doctor.

I was always under the assumption that my herpes was just in 'one place' and that I didn't have it in my mouth. Was this a wrong assumption?

thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:55 am 

It's certainly worthwhile to get yourself a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your status is. I wouldn't assume anything based on the number of ob's and recurrences you've had unless the partner who got tested and was hsv1+ was the only partner you've ever had in your lifetime.

Unfortunately we still don't have really good studies on hsv1 genitally ( or at least not a lot of them like we do hsv2 ) but from the studies we do have - we know that at least 1/4 of folks who have hsv1 genitally also contract the virus orally around the same time ( 1 study had 1/4 of folks - the other study had much higher incidence of oral coinfection ). The only 2 studies on this I've found both only looked only at the appearance of obvious cold sores - neither of them looked at viral oral shedding of hsv1 ( most folks who have hsv1 orally don't get obvious cold sores to know it which is why just going on the appearance of obvious cold sores isn't very accurate ). Unless you have ever had an obvious cold sore there's no easy way to determine if you also have hsv1 orally or not.

Statistically 1 out of every 2 to 3 people any of us has ever kissed has hsv1 orally. It's THAT common. Not many of us get to the old age home without it. sure no one ever wants to have to deal with cold sores but the virus is pretty much a fact of life throughout the entire world.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]