ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:01 am 

Hi, I am a 25 year old female who recently went for her annual pap exam and also got std testing done as I do every year b/c I think it is a smart thing to do. I had no fear whatsoever of testing positive but apparently my results for HSV2 came back positive. However it was a low positive result. My exam said I was:

HSV1 = Less than .9 (so negative)
HSV2 = 1.6 (low positive)

I am so confused b/c I have been with my fiance now for 3 years and both of us have been completely faithful. He has never had any symptoms and neither have I. He does have HPV but was never diagnosed with HSV. Could this be a false positive?? I did just get the flue shot the day before this exam could that have anything to do with it?? Please any incite you can give would be greatly appreciate it. I am going crazy inside!!! Thank You:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:44 am 

The flu shot has nothing to do with your herpes test results.

Has your partner had a herpes blood test done yet? If not that's your next step to see what his status is. If he's negative for hsv2 then I suggest repeating your hsv blood test - you can confirm your results with either a biokit hsv2 blood test, a herpes western blot or if your doctor uses quest labs you want the herpes inhibition assay done.

Could this be a false + hsv2 result? yes it could be. Anything that is questionable with a result of under 3.5 should be confirmed to err on the side of caution. I can't say that definitely it's a false positive - you might have hsv2 - but it's worth confirming to be sure of your status if your partner is hsv2 negative.

Betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]