ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: BetsyB Please Help!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:17 am 

Hi Betsy,

I have read through a lot of the posts on here and would really appreciate your help. I recently moved and went to a new OBGYN for my annual. For the past several years every time I get my annual I also get tested for STD's. This isn't out of fear of contraction but I just feel that everyone should be tested annually. In the past my OBGYN for 10 years has done a vaginal swipe for STD's but not Herpes. At this new OBGYN they actually took my blood and did a test for Herpes. They called me and told me my results which were:

HSV1 = less than .9 (negative)
HSV2 = 1.6 (low positive)

Now I am absolutely shocked b/c there is no reason I should be testing positive. I have been exclusively with my fiance for 3 years and both of us have been faithful. Neither of us have had any symptoms that would even suggest that we were infected. I called my old OBGYN who i completely trust and she said that the antibody blood test is not extremely reliable and that is why she doesn't do it. She also said that a large part of the population is immune from HSV1 and that could cause the false positive especially since my test results were so low. I'm going to get retested and get a vaginal swab culture done too to verify. I was just wondering your input. As I said neither one of us have any symptoms whatsoever!!!! And I would think that if either one of us had it for 3 years we would have had some sort of symptoms!!!

Thank you sooooo much for your help!!! I really appreciate all your help and advice!!![/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:23 am 

Ohhh and another thing I've read that outbreaks are caused by stress, fatigue, the flu and I just took the Bar Exam and let me tell you that was the most stressfull time of my life and still no symptoms. Also the day before the blood test was done I got the Flu Shot so I don't know if this somehow may have effected he results. Thanks again soooo much!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]