ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Herpetic Whitlow
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:51 pm 

My 22 yearold granddaughter's fiance was diagnosed 3 days ago with Herpetic Whitlow. It is a sore on one of his fingers. Doctors here have said that it is very uncommon and we are getting very conflicting info about this. Can this cause genital herpes in a partner? Is this sore a health hazard to all family members? Does it make any difference if it is HPV I or HPV II? Would it be wise to consider a Guardisil vaccination?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 am 

Hpv is not the cause of herpes whitlow. hpv is the abbreviation for human papillomavirus. hsv is the abbreviation for herpes simplex virus. gardasil is only for hpv - it's ineffective for herpes.

what's important to find out is - is his whitlow caused by hsv1 or hsv2? Was it diagnosed by a lesion culture and typing or just a visual exam? I also recommend the both of them get type specific herpes igg blood tests to see what their status is. He could've contracted whitlow from an oral herpes infection getting into his hand or from a genital herpes infection getting into his hand. That's why it's important for both of them to know their status and then they can go from there.

feel free to ask any other questions.

betsy

Post subject: Herpetic Whitlow
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:37 am 

Thank you Betsy regarding your reply about Herpetic Whitlow. You mentioned that it was important to determine if the infection is HSV I or HSV II. Why is that important? Is one of these more destructive or handled differently than the other. This is totally new to my family and we are having difficulty getting even basic, rudimentary information here. Thank you again. Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:20 pm 

Knowing which type he has just helps them to figure out possibly where he got it from. Hsv1 is usually contracted from oral contact, hsv2 from genital contact ( not always ). As I said both of them need to get tested to see who has what.

Until then he should keep it covered so it doesn't spread to others thru handshaking and such. if he's having a lot of pain - he can pick up some domeboro's solution at the drugstore, mix it up and soak his finger in that periodically throughout the day for pain relief and to help dry it out. Tea tree oil is another thing many of us like ( under $5 for 2 oz at walmart - it's in the bandaid section ).

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]