ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Going through hell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:57 pm 

I am a 22 year old female, college student. Monday, Feb 5th 2007 my boyfriend and I rushed to the local Planned Parenthood clinic as I had bumps that spread from my but checks to my vagina and urination was so painful it was causing me to throw up! I saw two nurse practitioners and a doctor who confirmed that I had genital Herpes. I'm not sure whether I have HSV I OR II but I will find out tomorrow (Thursday, Feb 8th 2007). On Monday I was prescribed percersets (sp) for the pain (its so intense) and Valtrex (twice a day for ten days). However this pain is so intense (I've been reading on the boards most people have one to seven sores but I have at least 15, is this abnormal? what's going on?). I can't walk without hurting, wear jeans (I had my boyfriend run out and buy me sweatpants), or even sleep without being in pain. I was wondering when this was going to go away??!! My guess (until results come back) is that I got it from my boyfriend when he gave me oral sex (vaginal and anal) because he had a cold sore on his lip (I'm devastated I didn't know about oral herpes only genital!!). Oh so I'm ranting! Anyways I'm just desperate to find out when will this pain and the sores go away?? hypothetically speaking, if I got HSVI from him, can we have sex and not get each other more infected?? I'm so upset and scared, and horribly in pain!! Help!!! Also while it is healing/going away is there some self help I can do? Ice cubes, blow dryer, tubs NOT WORKING!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Post subject: Yes, it'll get better..
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:54 am 

Absolutely. Sorry you are having such an uncomfortable time. The first (Primary) outbreak is the worst one since your body has not yet developed its antibody defenses.

You are part of a huge majority who didn't know that cold sores are herpes and that it can be transmitted to any body part. A LOT more education is in order about herpes and that's just part of it.

Did the NP you saw give you any antiviral meds to help with this? Valtrex, acyclovir or famvir are helpful, although once an OB is going on, it won't make it go away instantly. I'd suggest keeping some of one of these meds on hand so you can take them as soon as possible in the future if you suspect an OB is trying to get started. Generic acyclovir is much less expensive if insurance doesn't cover it. One good thing about genital HSV1 is that it typically has fewer recurrances than HSV2.

In the mean time, one of the things you might try is getting some Dermoplast spray which is over the counter at the drug store, Blue label variety, not the red. It's a topical anesthetic. Some analgesics like ibuprofen, tylenol, etc, might help.

Going forward, since you and your guy both have the identical virus, there should be little risk in any sexual activity, although I'd still recommend avoiding contact with active symptomatic areas.

Good luck and please feel free to come back with more questions and updates, too.

Rajah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:20 pm 

Also in addition to raj's post - if it hurts when the urine flows over the lesions you can try either urinating in warm water ( either a sitz bath set up that fits in your toilet or even in the tub ) or getting a "squirt" bottle and squirting warm water over your genital area while you urinate too to further dilute the urine. If you can physically cover your lesions - put your hand inside a plastic baggie and cover the lesions while urinating.

The first ob is the worst :( recurrences ( if any if this is hsv1 genitally ) will be much milder thankfully!

Also don't forget to read the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com. It's filled with terrific info for both you and your bf.

If indeed this is hsv1 genitally from your bf's cold sore - he's not likely to contract it from you. Just always avoid sex during obvious symptoms to err on the side of caution.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am 

Hi,
I got the same symptoms of horrible pain where I could barely walk or urinate without excruciating pain during my first Herpes outbreak when I was 22 from my first boyfriend. I remember walking to work and just feeling so awful for about 3 days until I took Acyclovir which worked right away. The nurse in the emergency room gave me a horrible look of disgust and I felt so much shame and anger for a very long time. All my other outbreaks (about 2 per year) have been much, much milder. I would recommend trying Famvir if Acylcovir or Valtrex doesn't work - Acycovir helped me in the beginning but now it doesn't affect me. So if your drug is not working, try another one - I have had to convince my doctors of this because they assume every drug will work.
Feel free to contact me if you want to chat further or have more questions. A LOT of women have this and it's good your boyfriend is there to support you - I had broken up with mine right before the outbreak (it can break out up to 20 days after you first contract it) and he accused me of cheating on him...but the reality is, he got cold sores on his lips all the time - sounds just like what happened to me. Hope you feel better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:22 pm 

the-rajah, i was wanting to know if it would be okay to use that topical anesthetic spay in addition to the pain meds my doctor provided?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:07 am 

What pain meds did your doctor prescribe for you?

also it's always best to ask your doctor or your pharmacist these kinds of questions - we are not meant to replace the advice of licensed professionals.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]