ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Herpes vaccine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:17 pm 

I was doing some research online and came across a study by some group at Mount Sinai University. It was a study regarding a vaccine for females for the Herpes Simplex Virus.

The trail went kind of cold (so to speak) and I haven't been able to find out the results of the study and/or if it appeared the vaccine would progress toward commercialization.

Can anyone help me on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:36 am 

Is this the herpevac vaccine trials? If so the last I knew it was still in phase 3 trials. Hopefully they will finish up soon since they seem to have been going on for quite sometime now. It's been proving to be hard to find completely hsv negative females to participate in it from what I've heard :(

The info from stage 2 trials of the vaccine was that it was a 40% reduction in hsv2 infection. not the greatest but better than nothing. You can google their website to read more about it all.

betsy

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:57 am 

betsyb1967 wrote:
Is this the herpevac vaccine trials? If so the last I knew it was still in phase 3 trials. Hopefully they will finish up soon since they seem to have been going on for quite sometime now. It's been proving to be hard to find completely hsv negative females to participate in it from what I've heard :(

The info from stage 2 trials of the vaccine was that it was a 40% reduction in hsv2 infection. not the greatest but better than nothing. You can google their website to read more about it all.

betsy

Whose website would I google? Herpevac?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:38 am 

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/dmid/stds/herpevac/

Try that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:15 pm 
Just wanted to let you know that over 40 sites in North America have been working on the herpes vaccine (Herpevac) for HSV1/HSV2 negative women, not just Mount Sinai. Betsy is right... it's in Phase III of the clinical trial.

The good news is that the study is near the end of enrollment. :) The study is going to stop enrolling once they've reached 7500 participants... at this point, they're about 97% enrolled. This is after screening nearly 30,000 women for eligibility.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]