ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:59 am 

I wanted to know if every cold sore on your lip is herpes. I've read that it is caused by the virus, but I have friends that tell me no.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:10 am 

Cold sores = herpes, usually type 1 herpes simplex. Of course you can have other things going on there like zits, but that's obviously not the same thing.

Sores inside the mouth are a different story and are usually canker sores also known technically as aphthous stomatitis. Take a look at this page that explains the difference.. http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/heal ... anker.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:40 pm 

Hi lost607,

the-rajah is correct. Cold sores or fever blisters are caused by herpes - oral herpes.

It also may be helpful for you and your friends to know that oral herpes is extremely common. It's rare for any adult not to have the virus whether they realize it or not. Different studies have come back with different statistics on how common it is, but it's anywhere from 50% to 90% of the population depending on the age group. Still, it's uncommon for someone to get through childhood or adolescence without contracting the virus - due to kissing parents, relatives, friends, etc. over the years.

Another important factor with this is oral sex. Many people don't think their cold sore/fever blister is herpes and perform oral sex on a partner. A partner could then contract genital herpes as a result. So, if a person is experiencing any symptom in or around the mouth, it's a good recommendation not to perform oral sex until the symptom fully heals.

Thanks,
Mike

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]