ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:13 pm 

I've had herpes simplex 2 for a few years now. It's different, as it is not in my vaginal area. I have one outbreak spot and it is just below the top of my pubic hairline. I've had one outbreak this past summer and before that, it had been a few years. I restrain from sex whenever I have an outbreak. No big deal. Now, I met someone and he freaked when I told him about my herpes. I really don't think it's a big deal but have I become complacent? I just ended a long-term relationship and since I was using birth control, we enjoyed sex sans condom. Were we being stupid? Could he now have herpes, even though there wasn't a sore present? I've read online that it's transmittable without any active sores but how? It's not spread in vaginal fluids, is it? I thought it could only be spread by skin-to-skin contact. Now, I'm freaking out! Please, someone, enlighten me... Again, it's not in my vaginal area so the information I read online doesn't exactly pertain to my situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:50 am 

If you've never read the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com - I recommend taking the time to do so. It will give you terrific info for how to treat your herpes as well as how to reduce a partner's risk.

Unfortunately condoms do not protect 100% against the transmission of genital herpes. Your past partner should still get tested for herpes to know his full status because he very well could've contracted the virus while he was with you and he just doesn't know it. Sure he's far more likely not to have contracted it than he is to have contracted it but it's best to err on the side of caution and get tested before he enters into any future relationships. Trust me when I say it's far better to find out you have it from a blood test then from when you've transmitted it to a new partner :(

Even though your lesions typically appear outside of the actual genitals - you are still most likely shedding the virus from the entire anogenital area with ob's and in between ob's. Your nerve ganglia for that entire area is infected with the virus - not just the area in which up until now you typically have noticed ob's in. So yes all the info you've read before does pertain to you too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]