ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:45 pm 

In june of 2009, I had a questional encounter with a one night partner and within a few days I had a few red spots around my penis. I went to the doctor two weeks later, the doctor told me it looked like herpes and I took a test. The information given to me was that I was negative and I should take the test in another month, which I did. I was again told I was negative. I thought I had gotten lucky and dodged a bullet. (the spots simply ran their corse, never became blisters or sores, and were never very uncomfortable)

skip ahead to december 2010. I take a full range of STD tests and was told my hsv1 is positive, and I should come in take another test. when I return to the doctor we look at the two june 2009 results and I see they are .80 and .91 positive respectively (remember he had told me that my results were negative, but he now verifies the .8 and .9 positive results) and this new december test is 1.81 positive. (I am waiting on results of a second december test)

questions come into my mind is that why did he tell me I tested negative in 2009. and question two is am I actually infected? I now these are all low positive numbers. I have had three partners since June 2009, two of which were regular and I continue to speak with. Never had any indication from them that there were any issues. Also, I have not had any breakouts since that first June 09 encounter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:11 pm 

your previous results are negatives. I don't think your provider knows how to deal with the equivocal results from the tests. we consider them negative .

no way to know if your hsv1 is oral or genital. most folks who have hsv1 orally, don't get obvious cold sores to know so. since statistically 1 out of every 2-3 people you've ever kissed in a lifetime has hsv1 orally no way to know if you've contracted it in the last 18 months or not either.

red dots aren't likely to be herpes related - typically hsv1 genitally hurts quite a bit and presents initially with very obvious and "classic" blister like lesions that will be fairly painful to you. at this point all you can do is if you get a return of symptoms, be seen promptly for a lesion culture and typing.

honestly I wouldn't even repeat any herpes testing unless a partner within the last 3 months has led you to need additional testing. from this point forward talk to partners about their own status. ask them if they get tested for herpes and don't hesitate to ask how they do. Many folks mistakenly think they are getting tested for it when they aren't. a yearly pap is not std testing! you know you are likely to have hsv1, you just don't know where. discuss with partners your status and once you know their status, you can make educated decisions about what precautions to take together.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:40 pm 

thanks, yes the first outbreak did not produce the normal visible symptoms that I have looked into, they were just a little uncomfortable. so even the current 1.91 "positive" flag is not neccessarily a postive that I have the hsv1. what should I look for in the new test results which I should get monday and were a month after this recent 1.91 result. I assume that if they go down or remain the same, I am in the clear or if they spike up dramitically this might be a new infection?

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:57 pm 

there doesn't seem to be the same false positive issues with hsv1 testing like there is hsv2 - more false negative issues with hsv1 testing.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:49 am 

im still confused, a 1.91 positive confirms an infection?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 am 

yes that is a positive. If you really want to confirm it you can get a herpes WB. Totally up to you if you think it's worth another $200 of testing.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 am 

if this second test comes in at or below 1.91, what can I conclude. what does a low positive mean in the grand scheme of things?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:38 am 

the Wb only reports with a + or - . It's the most accurate herpes blood test we currently have.

Odds are you really do have hsv1 like most adults do.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm 

besty, my second test just came back and hsv1 was the same (1.91) so it it rare that to have a low positive this low after being infected in a year and a half earlier? i have been symptom free since then, what precautions do I need to take (if any)?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:55 pm 

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_le ... herpes.cfm has terrific info on oral herpes for more reading about it.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:14 am 

betsy, this isnt oral herpes. its hsv1 infection but the initial minor breakout in 2009 was in the genital area. I have had no outbreaks since and have this low positive of 1.91. I assume this was caught from partner during oral sex who had oral hsv1. from what I have read, hsv1 on the genitals is difficult to transmit to others during asymptomatic periods?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:24 pm 

you don't know where your hsv1 infection is at this point as I previously discussed. A lesion culture of your genital symptoms would've been much more helpful. A visual diagnosis is wrong 1/3 of the time so you can't really assume it was accurate. your description of your symptoms doesn't sound very much like a newly acquired hsv1 genital infection either. The reason I included the link for oral herpes is because hsv1 orally sheds more often than hsv1 genitally does so erring on the side of caution and assuming your hsv1 is oral at this point isn't a bad course of action.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:41 am 

betsy, I guess my ultimate question is with hsv1, since 1.91 is a low positive after being exposed over a year earlier, right? is is more difficult to transmit a low positive? (lets say its genital) based on the genital outbreak after being receiving oral sex from probably herpes carrier, and having no oral symptoms,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:46 pm 

the numeric result of your testing has nothing to do with how active the virus is or how likely you are to transmit it. The virus is just as active regardless of the result of testing.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:53 am 

is there a way to determine how easy it will be to transmit the virus, considering I have not had any symptoms in a year and a half.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next