ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question . . .
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:09 pm 

I have HSV1 and have had it since Nov. 2004. After my intial outbreak, I’ve only had one other. I think it was induced by stress from moving across the country.

I’ve started dating a girl and don’t want to give it to her. I was wondering if using something like valtrex would be beneficial? Does Valtrex work for both types or just HSV2? Would it be worth it considering the limited outbreaks I’ve had?

Thank you for your time and expertise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:54 pm 

The first thing you want to do is to get this gal tested for herpes to see what her status is. If she has hsv1 already ( whether she knew it or not ) then there is very, very little risk of her acquiring it genitally from you. If she has hsv2 - then you need to be concerned about reducing your risk of acquiring hsv2 from her which would most likely result in an increase in genital ob's for yourself.

Hsv1 genitally doesn't shed as often as hsv2 does ( on average ~ 3% of days compared to 15% of days with hsv2 ). Usually just avoiding sex during any obvious symptoms is all the precaution you need. It's not likely to be transmitted thru genital to genital sex but it can be. If you need the peace of mind you can take daily suppressive therapy but there aren't any studies on it to see if it does indeed decrease the risk of transmitting hsv1 genitally to a partner. The info we have on it is only for hsv2 transmission.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]