ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Does the BF have it
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:32 pm 

I have only been sexually active with one person for the past 6 months. I had an outbreak in january. The doctor told me its possible from the oral sex from the boyfriend. Well... the boyfriend got tested and he is negative. I dont know what type of blood test he took. Is it highly likely he has it and he gave it to me or I contracted it 5 yrs ago from another bf and its showing signs now? My doctor said if the bf doesnt have it its from a toilet seat which i dont believe

thanks for answering .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:58 am 

Vary - how were you diagnosed? From a culture of the outbreak, or just visual? I had the same thing happen to me - diagnosed in January, been with the same man for 6 months (and no one at all for 4 months before that). Except when my boyfriend was tested, he was positive.

I was a little emotional with my doctor when I was diagnosed. My doctor told me that he didn't think that my bf needed to be tested, because herpes wasn't any big deal. He actually said "It's a virus, like the flu. You wouldn't be emotional about the flu. Think of it like you have a flu in your vagina." I was stunned. I really felt that he was protecting me, or maybe my bf. It's hard to explain, but I felt that he knew the truth - that although herpes is emotional for the individual who has it, the truth is that it is extremely common and in the overall scope of things, not that important, so why make such a fuss about who has it, who gave it to whom, etc.

I wasn't angry that my bf gave it to me (he didn't know that he had it) but I did want to know. I was diagnosed from a culture of the outbreak and the doctor refused to do a blood test to determine whether I had antibodies (which would tell me that I'd had the virus for a while before the outbreak) so I'll never really know if I got it from this bf or not. The doctor told me that it isn't important to know.

So I guess what I'm saying is... (1) I feel you, because doctors can be exasperating; (2) make sure that both you and your bf got accurate tests because it matters if you're trying to avoid spreading the virus; and (3) the truth is you could have gotten this 5 years ago and just never known that you had it. I have no idea about the toilet seat thing, but I agree that that sounds silly.

good luck

Post subject: Does the BF have it
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:14 pm 

I got the result from a culture swab. It doesnt make sense though that the BF doesnt have it and his test is negative. I have done a blood test to see if i have recent antibodies or not. It agonizing not knowiing where i contracted it -- the doctor telling me maybe its the toiilet seat doesnt help at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:44 pm 

I totally get it. When my doctor refused the blood test, I explained that I really just wanted to know when/how/from whom this happened. I said that I was just wondering if I got it from this boyfriend or if I needed to start making lists of old partners. The doctor explained that H is not a 'reportable' condition - meaning the doctor doesn't report cased to the CDC or state agency, or whatever (which they do have to do for some other STDs) so who I told was up to me. But again, he shrugged it off, told me that most people have been exposed to the virus, no reason to ever give it another thought.

Really sort of takes the mystery out of why 25% of the population has it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:54 am 

vary - if you can get a copy of your bf's blood test and post the numeric results here we can help you figure out if he was properly tested or not. Same with your own blood test results. we just need the numeric results - ie hsv1 igg .45 and hsv2 igg.56 or whatever they are.

When you had your lesion culture done - was it typed to know if you have hsv1 or hsv2?

YOU ABSOLUTELY DID NOT GET HERPES FROM A TOILET SEAT!!! Shame on your doctor for even saying that!!

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:21 am 

:arrow: You can NOT get herpes from a toilet seat

Hang in there,

Angela :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]