ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:27 am 

I was with someone with the genital version of herpes over 6 years ago! When that relationship was done, I had an STD screen and asked for herpes specific testing. The doctor did a visual inspection and declared me herpes free.

But then later I read that you can still carry this silently even without ever having symptoms. It's been 6 years and I have never had any oral or genital symptoms whatsover. So basically I want to know my chances of passing this on and if I'm carrying it as a silent carrier.

But I read some of the recommended tests and these all say to get checked 12-16 days after the initial infection. Obviously it's been more than 12-16 days since I have been with this person haha.

Should I do the Western blot test or does that even matter at this point? Is this just some kind of Russian Roulette maybe the other person gets infected maybe they don't? That kinda sucks if you ask me...

Thanks for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:59 am 

I'm not sure where the 12- 16 days info is coming from - that's way too soon for any blood test for herpes to be useful.

Once you have herpes - you will test + for it on the blood tests for a lifetime for the most part ( a small percentage of folks won't always test + on the blood test ). You can get a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your hsv1 and hsv2 status is. It's something everyone should get periodically to keep an eye on their status. The herpes select igg for hsv1 and hsv2 will be an easier test to get drawn than the WB ( only 1 lab in the US does the WB and it's usually a 2-3 week wait for your results - you can get results in 24 hours from the herpes select depending on which lab your doctor uses ).

If you don't want to ask your regular doctor to order this for you - check out www.healthcheckusa.com or www.tstd.org if you are in the US to see if either have a participating lab near you. You order up your test and go get it drawn. Both run around $100 but you get results in 48 hours or less. You don't have to order up the doctor's interpretation of your results - just post them here and we'll gladly help you with them.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:48 pm 

Cool thanks Betsy

I'm gonna check those out, hopefully there are no eating restrictions to get those tests done. (Like you have to not eat for 24 hours or something).

Actually it was 12-16 weeks, from this guide:

http://www.ashastd.org/pdfs/blood_test.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:14 pm 

Hi Betsy,

At the first link, there is a location close to me, and they have:

Herpes Simplex Virus 1&2 IgM

At the second link, they have the following test:

Herpeselect

I was thinking of doing both, and they are both very close. Any thoughts on this? I'd rathar do 2 just to be sure of the results.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:25 pm 

K, I just ordered a test from that second link and am gonna go in tomorrow to get a test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:53 am 

NEVER WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THE IGM. it's too inaccurate and isn't recommended to be used on otherwise healthy adults to diagnose hsv.

You want to order the herpes select igg for hsv1 and hsv2.

betsy

ps 12 - 16 weeks makes more sense than days did...he he he it can take that long to seroconvert and test + on the blood test so if it's a suspected new infection - you need to wait that long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:54 am 

oh and thank goodness no eating doesn't effect a herpes test!!

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:25 am 

:arrow: Proper Herpes Testing

I hope this will be helpful to you too.

Hang in there,

Angela :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:38 pm 

Okay, I did the Herpeselect test today, results should be in by 3 days (Friday)

Thanks for everybody's help, it's very much appreciated

I guess I won't be doing that first test since alot of people are saying it's really no good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:32 am 

Post your results here when you get them and we'll gladly give you a hand with them :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:36 pm 

Hi,

I received the Herpeselect results tonight and they both show as negative, with the IgG for both (HSV1 and HSV2) listed as < .90. The test results sheet didn't specifically go into the actual number, but I consider this to be satisfactory. I didn't think I had this since I don't recall any of the initial flu-like symptoms at the time, or didn't have any outbreaks since then, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks for everyone's help you guys have been great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:28 pm 

WOOHOO!!! glad your test was negative :)

It's been at least 90 days since your last sexual encounter?

grace

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]