ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Could it be herpes??
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:38 am 

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed two little red bumps near the head of my penis (in the folds of skin right by the head). after a day or two they turned into what looked like regular pimples. I've never had any pimples on my penis, and so I kind of freaked out. I haven't been sexually active in about 3-4 months, and I haven't noticed any kind of "outbreak" prior to this. After about a week, the pimples or whatever they were went away, and now all that is left is two little dots of pale skin where they were. there were never any open sores or anything. I noticed some irritation/itching in this area, but only when I was consciously thinking about it (this makes me think it might have just been psychological). I have (regrettably) had unprotected sex in the past, but not recently. These bumps very closely resembled pimples, but like I said I've never had pimples on my penis, and they lasted a little longer than pimples on other parts of my body do. Could this be herpes?? I've scheduled an appointment to get tested next Thursday, but I'd like some piece of mind until then. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:53 am 

You didn't mention what testing you were going for but at that point it will need to be a type specific herpes igg blood test - your lesions will be too healed for a culture of them to be of any use.

could this be herpes? yes it could but then it also could be many other things. You didn't mention if you've been circumsized but if you haven't been - it's not unusual for infections to appear in that area too - both bacterial and fungal. Following up on all this is the best idea.

Condoms do not prevent infection with herpes by 100%. You can't rely on them to keep you completely safe from hsv or hpv but they do certainly help to decrease the chances. You should still be tested for herpes on a regular basis - better yet both you and any potenital partners both get tested for sti's prior to becoming intimate so you know from the gitgo who has what and can take precautions.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:06 am 

I am getting the blood test, since if it is herpes, I must have contracted it some time ago, and don't currently have any physical symptoms. I am circumsized, and have never had any kind of bacterial infection on or around my genitals.

Do outbreaks occur randomly, or are they brought on by certain factors. Like I mentioned in my first post, I haven't had sex in a few months, so this "outbreak" isn't following intercourse. It kind of came out of nowhere. Is this typical to a herpes outbreak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:42 am 

Often ob's have seemingly no rhyme or reason actually. Not enough sleep, friction/trauma to the genitals and illness are frequent triggers though.

Let us know how your appointment goes :) We can help you with your blood work if you need it. Remember you only want the type specific herpes igg blood test - don't waste your time or money on the igm.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]