ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:21 pm 

That would be great to have everything done at one place, but at this point I already have an appt scheduled for my referral and colposcopy on Tuesday. Maybe after I get that done I'll take the records over to the other. I would hate to make things more complicated for me or anyone else...lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:06 am 

I'm glad you can remember where you are supposed to be when!!!

Even though this isn't the hpv board, let us know how things go tuesday :) Fingers crossed it takes care of everything going on!

betsy

Post subject: HPV update
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:49 am 

Hi Betsy,

Went to the GYN today for the colposcopy and biopsy. Seems I do have HPV, which my doctor neglected to tell me 3 weeks ago when he got the results. I should hear from the doctor Thursday with some more results. I not exactly clear on what I will be hearing back at this point. I think I'm still in shock that in 3 months I've found out I have HSV1, HPV and allergic to Hazelnuts. lol They say they got in 3's right?

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated. Is there any connection to HSV and HPV? Someone told me that sometimes they can go hand in hand...but that doesn't sound right to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 am 

Well they don't really go hand in hand but it's not unusual to have both since both are 2 of the top 3 most common std's. All you need now is some chlamydia and you'll have a perfect score :D

Hopefully the colposcopy took care of the hpv issue - did they see anything suspicious when they did it?

Hang in there - it will get better - it has to right?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:56 am 

lol...ya, that's all I need...a perfect score of STD's. :)

Question though...what did you mean the colposcopy took care of the HPV? He didn't say anything at this point about anything looking suspicious. He only said that hopefully there won't be any cervicitis that will keep them from getting a better read on the results or they'd have to do the biopsy again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:01 pm 

What I meant was usually when they get a good look up there with the colposcopy, if they see anything suspicious they biopsy it and then schedule a LEEP if need be. Don't see anything and then they just do the routine follow up pap tests to keep an eye on things. When they gave you your hpv results did they say if it was low risk hpv or high risk hpv?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 pm 

They said it was high risk HPV. Can you tell me what the difference is between the two? The way my lucks been going the past few months, I'm a bit nervous about the results. I'm a bit foggy on what the doctor told me in his office yesterday and am not quite sure of what he might be expecting to find or what they are actually looking for. Cancer cells?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:58 pm 

Most hpv cervical infections go away on their own. 70% are cleared within 1 year and 91% are cleared within 2 years. That's without any treatment whatsoever. If you have a low risk type it's not associated with cervical cancer and almost always clears on its own. If you have a high risk type, that means that it is a type associated with potentially causing cervical cancer but even at that - most don't progress to that stage and go away on their own too. When someone has a high risk type of hpv, they typically do the colpolscopy to look for obvious signs of hpv infection and biopsy anything they find on the exam. If a biopsy comes back + as cell changes due to hpv on the colpolscopy, then they typically do the LEEP to remove them. If it comes back normal then they just typically closely follow up with pap tests every 6 months for a year or so and then yearly. In developed countries, it doesn't often progress to cervical cancer but as long as you have follow up and treatment whenever any abnormal cells do occur, the prognosis is excellent.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:11 pm 

Ok. But I'm getting different info from some things I'm reading. I believe the doctor said HPV is something you will always have. But you say and I've read it someplace else as well, that it can go away. I HPV a virus that you always have (like HSV)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:03 am 

I think Fred has some really good anchored posts on this in the hpv forum but from what we know right now, we don't know if the hpv ever really leaves the body but by cleared it's meant that by all the means we currently have available, they can not detect hpv. Can't detect it and it's not active to cause any issues. As far as we know it doesn't retreat to any body part permanently like herpes does.

betsy

Post subject: Colposcopy update
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:33 pm 

Hi Betsy,

Had the colposcopy and biopsy on Monday. Got a call back from the doctor last night. He said I have mild dysplasia w/condyloma (warts/polyps). I am now scheduled for another biopsy for a week from Monday the 2nd. I'm trying not to freak out too much at this point, except for the actual procedure itself. He's hoping that by going back in and taking a bigger biopsy that it will help to remove more of the warts/polyps as well as see if there is something more going on that he wasn't able to see through the state that my cervix is in.

I'm still a bit in shock and don't even know if I have any questions right now. Guess it's just a wait and see how the next biopsy turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:12 am 

hang in there - I can't imagine how stressful this is for you.

Keep reminding yourself that it's best to deal with it now and get it all removed now so that it doesn't have a chance to progress at all.

do you have friends or family members to keep you occupied until your follow up and to go with you to the procedure?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:28 pm 

Hi Betsy,

Yes, I'm doing my best to try to be as positive as I can with all of this. And yes, I do have some supportive friends and family. The guy I've been seeing since November when it all started has been sticking around. And I think his sticking around says something. Sometimes its hard going through all of this physical stuff and how it's effecting me emotionally and at the same time trying to sort out the emotions and dynamics of a new relationship. I have a good friend that is a nurse that has offered to take me to the upcoming procedure.

Thank you again for all of your support and knowledge on everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:00 pm 

Ok, as if life just couldn't get any better (and this is mostly to vent). I had my 2nd biopsy scheduled for this coming Monday (the 2nd), but when I came into work this past Monday, I was given 2 weeks notice at my job. So, I decided to put off my biopsy for another week so I could get all my hours in next week.

Then this past weekend another OB started. :( It's been one a month now for the past 3 months. And I'm sure my close friends are getting tired of me telling them all about it...lol. So, today for the first time, I actually felt the blisters. Before I was too nervous about touching the area when I knew something was going on. It kind of freaked me out. Oh, but I've been using the Dermaplast (blue can) and it's working great.

So, now that I've got all of this medical stuff going on and NEED insurance I'm trying not to worry too much and make it all worse.

That's all...thanks for listening. :) LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:09 pm 

You can continue your insurance thru cobra benefits if you are in the US. It's a lot of money but if you are hoping to only be out of a job for a few months it's your best course of action.

Also call your local health department if you in the US and ask what your options are for lower cost clinics.

Also why not quick call your provider and ask them to phone you in a 3 months at a time prescription for acyclovir so you can fill it while you still have insuranc coverage too.

Hang in there - I can't imagine what is going thru your mind right now with all of this being heaped upon you :(

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next