ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:40 pm 

Hello everyone,
I am new to the board but not to herpes. I contracted it 10 years ago from my partner who thought she had a yeast infection. The relationship did not last for other reasons. But I have to tell you I was devistated. I thought I would never be able to have another relationship. I felt dirty, not worthy...well you all know these feelings. Having a relationship after you have herpes sometimes can be emotionally painful. I have told my partners since then, I am in my third relationship and this one seems to be potentially the most painful. The other 2 women I told seemed to take it in stride, we were careful and used precautions and I did not pass it to them. In my current relationship I have become involved with possibly the most amazing woman I have ever met, we have fallen in love and I could tell a physical relationship was soon to happen. I knew it was time for the "conversation". After our talk she said she needed time to process all the info. She also has type I on her mouth and has shingles. Health pros in the past have told her that because of what she has she would more than likley get type 2.
At this time I am just giving her time to process everything, funny how people react....I thought she would be the most understanding of all. I guess a little time will tell if it was going to be a worthy relationship. I have to tell you though, at times this can be somewhat emotionally painful.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:50 am 

A history of hsv1 orally and a shingles reactivation does not make her more likely to contract hsv2. No idea why she was told that. Also does she get recurrences of her shingles? If so where - she might have even been misdiagnosed - it's not uncommon. If she's never had a hsv2 igg blood test it wouldn't be a bad idea to get one - she might have more going on than she's ever suspected. shingles only reoccurs in 5% of folks so when recurrences are happening - it's a signal for further testing.

Fingers crossed this gal does her reading, gets more accurate info and figures out that she's much safer with you than with someone who doesn't know their status as well as just how significantly you can reduce the chance of transmission with just minimal effort. It's never easy when a relationship doesn't work out no matter what the reason is for it :(

betsy

Post subject: nowwhat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:12 pm 

Betsyb1967,
From reading your other posts I understand that you also have type 2?
If I may ask; what do you do as far as preventitive procedures? At what point do you inform them? Have any of your partners contracted it from you and how did the two of you handle the subject.
I know these are very private questions so if you dont' want to answer any of them I fully understand.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:55 pm 

I have hsv1 orally and hsv2 genitally. I usually wait and talk about both until it seems like intimate contact is going to occur with a new partner - sometimes that's the first night we meet - other times it's a month or two into things ( see the sticky at the top of this folder for some terrific info on how to talk about sti's with a new partner ). I'm very open and matter of fact about my herpes and also talk about birth control and condom use too when I have the whole "talk". I am usually on daily suppressive therapy to reduce my ob's and to also protect my partners. In the begining of a new relationship I also use condoms but once my partner and I are comfortable without using them - we stop. I have transmitted the virus twice unfortunately - once was a few months into my infection - I had had no idea I even had hsv2 until that point. The 2nd time was a few months later. I've thankfully never transmitted it again that I know of in the last 20 years I've had it ( confirmed by blood tests by my long term partners ). A little effort and rather simple precautions really does go a long way thankfully.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:04 pm 

Betsy,
Do you work in the medical field, I would like to know more about the proper tests for type 1 and 2. If you can have them done in confidence and where there might be testing facilities in Northern colorado. I would also like to know if you know anything about the Westover heights clinic website.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:24 pm 

Westover heights is an EXCELLENT facility. Terri Warren who runs it is very involved in herpes research and is well known in her field. You can't go wrong dealing with them. The herpes handbook is also there on the site - it's free and can be read online or printed off. It's updated regularly and is always up to date.

You can see if www.healthcheckusa.com or www.tstd.org has participating labs near you to get a herpes select igg for hsv1 and hsv2 drawn. It will run you around $100 for the test there. Also call around to local std clinics and planned parenthoods to see if any of them offer type specific testing. Some also offer the biokit which gives you your results in 20 minutes but only tests for hsv2. www.herpesdiagnosis.com has terrific info how to get properly tested for herpes. There is also a terrific section here on asha's site that goes over the blood tests too - http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_bloodtest.cfm

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]