ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: What do I do now?!?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:17 pm 

My live-in boyfriend of nearly four years told me this weekend that he believes he has H ( he just had his first outbreak). He assures me he has been completely faithful and I am trying to believe him. Could the virus have been latent this entire time or does an outbreak four years into our relationship mean that he cheated? I know that he has been under stress lately which could have triggered the outbreak. He has made a doctor appointment for this week...should I do the same? I have never had any symptoms, but I know that does not mean I am in the clear. How will this virus impact our love life? Any advice would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:47 pm 

Unfortunately it sounds like it's going to be too late for him to get an accurate lesion culture and typing - they are best if done within 48 hours of the appearance of the lesions :( When he sees his doctor he should ask for a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what his status is ( don't bother with the igm - it's worthless ). You also will need to get a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your status is too so that the two of you can make informed decisions about what precautions to take, if any.

Did he have to have cheated for this to just now be showing up? Not at all!!! He could've had genital herpes since before he met you and he's just now having his first obvious recurrence that was obvious enough to make him take notice or you could've had it since before you met him and just recently transmitted it to him even though you didn't seem to notice any symptoms. Also you can transmit hsv1 from the oral area to the genital area thru oral sex too . Until you figure out who has what - be sure to take precautions against transmission - just in case you are negative for whatever type he has.

The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com and also the info here at asha is terrific to help you learn more about herpes. Both of you should be sure to read them both when you have the time.

Let us know if we can help you with your test results or anything else you need :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:02 am 

betsyb...Thank you so much for your advice. Your words helped to put my mind at ease. I have shared your input on testing and the herpes handbook with my BF and we already feel better informed. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]