ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 pm 

I'd definitely get another igg at some point before your 3rd trimester starts and go from there.

odds really are you in your favor of not contracting hsv2 from hubby :)

how's the pregnancy going so far?

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:22 pm 

thanks for the re-assurance. i'm sure it will be fine. the pregnancy is going great other than just trying to keep up with a 1 year old and keep the nausea at bay:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm 

well good luck with both of those....lol

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:44 am 

I hear a lot about people transmitting strain 1 to the genitals through having oral sex. what about the opposite? is it as easy to transmit strain 2 from the genitals to your non-infected partners mouth during oral sex? we often had oral sex prior to husband's diagnosis, but have stopped completely since he had a positive herpes culture. we are actually not sure which strain it is and need to follow up with this, but have kind of assumed it is 2 since he's never had a cold sore (and i'm negative for both strains). although i've recently read that many genital infections are strain 1 so i think we will follow up and have him typed soon. would it be safer for us to have oral sex if he is strain 1? poor guy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:00 pm 

you can contract hsv2 orally but the risk is low.

why hasn't hubby gotten tested to confirm his status? is he on daily suppressive therapy?

feeling better now that things are further along in your pregnancy?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:18 pm 

When he was diagnosed we just assumed it was hsv2 because to his knowlege he'd never had a cold sore. And, his outbreak seemed pretty severe to us with blisters and discomfort walking, swollen nodes- we thought if it were hsv1 it would be a less severe outbreak therefore it was probably hsv2. Also, when he got it cultured, the urgent care just told him it was herpes and we figured it must be hsv2. When he followed up with his doc there was no recommendation to have it typed.

Today, he actually called the urgent care he originally went to. The nurse told him that because the outbreak was genital, that they just assume it is hsv2 as well and the culture had not been typed. However, I keep seeing things on how many genital outbreaks are actually hsv1 and it's gotten me thinking that we should really have it typed. It would make more sense to me, why we've been together for 8 years and i am negative- as i've read that hsv1 in genital region sheds less. I also read that an initial outbreak for the two different strains can be quite similar.
He does continue on valtrex suppressively. Our sex life has really changed though with the no oral sex for him. For me, the risk of getting hsv1 orally is a lot more palatable (no pun intended:) that hsv2, another reason to have it typed. additionally, it seems hsv1 outbreaks are a lot fewer for most people; he may decide he doesn't want to be on valtrex after the pregnancy is through.
and, yes, feeling good. the midwife did do the igg, not the igm, test at 9 weeks; all looked fine and i'll probably have her do again right before 3rd trimester.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:12 pm 

When we refer to hsv1 genitally as the "milder" form of genital herpes, we don't mean it as far as less painful. Hsv1 genital infections actually tend to present far more "classic" than hsv2 genital infections do actually.

definitely getting him typed is a good idea. It's what the cdc recommends and all clinics should be following their recommendations. Knowing type really is important.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:33 am 

so, he had the blood type and he is positive for strain 1, but negative for 2. he has not yet had a chance to talk to his doc about what this means for him/us. he has been taking valtrex all year suppressively for what was assumed to be strain 2. is this recommended for strain 1? if not, should he continue on it since i'm pregnant? i've read that strain 1 sheds less from the genital area than strain 2- this means my risk of contraction at some point in time is lessened? if we had oral sex and i contracted it it would just present as the cold sores that people get? is it as important to use condoms to prevent myself from becoming infected (after the baby is delivered)? is there anything else important we need to know since this is 1 rather than 2?

thanks, the info we get here is so helpful. we find our medical practioners all have really vague info for us.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:51 am 

at this point I'd have him stay on suppressive therapy just because you are pregnant. once the pregnancy is over, he can stop it and then get his next lesion cultured to confirm hsv1 genitally.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:46 am 

why the need to have a future lesion cultured if he has tested negatively with a blood test for strain 2?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:31 am 

just being cautious to confirm hsv1 genitally since his original culture wasn't typed.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2