ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: just diagnosed
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:27 pm 

I was just diagnosed and I was wondering what the best cream/topical anesthetic was that others had found. Also, how do you ask your partners to wear condoms when you haven't worn them before without telling them that I have hsv?

Post subject: Re: just diagnosed
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:29 am 

I like dermoplast spray myself- the blue can for the genital area, not the red can. It's under $10 and you can spray it on. it doesn't seem to sting like some products do.

I encourage you to discuss your herpes with all partners. You let them know from the gitgo that you have hsv then if they contract it, nothing legally they can do to you. Also it's as much about protecting you as it is protecting them too you know.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:12 am 

Betsy-
I bought the red stuff yesterday, what is the difference between the blue and the red? Also, does it help an outbreak if you keep the area clean by rinsing it a couple times every day? Does any type of powder bring relief? And once you get rid of an outbreak is it like you're back to normal (with a few exceptions)?

My concern is telling people I've already been with. I don't think I'm ready to tell them quite yet. So how can I say, let's make sure we use a condom with people I know I didn't contract the hsv from? Something along the lines of, "I want to be more careful from now on?" Also, if I take the antiviral every day, does it significantly decrease my chances for outbreak/passing it on and can I become immune to the drug?

I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions, its just great to have this resource and find out from an actual person instead of reading so many different things on the internet.

Amber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:45 am 

the red can has antimicrobials in it that can be very irritating to the sensitive genital skin.

Part of being sexually responsible is talking to partners prior to having sex with them. wouldn't you want partners to let you know that you recently found out you have genital herpes even if you've slept with them before - especially if you are having unprotected sex?

no, you won't become immune to the antivirals - no worries there!

The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com is a terrific free resource for more reading. it's written by Terri Warren who is on the board of directors here at asha. She also has a book you can buy on amazon - the good news about the bad news.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:03 pm 

Does any type of powder bring relief? And once you get rid of an outbreak is it kind of like going back to normal? Does it help keep outbreaks to a minimum if you take antivirals every day?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:10 pm 

yes everything will go back to normal.

you can use a cornstarch based powder - it helps reduce friction and helps keep clothing from sticking to ob's too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]