ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:18 pm 

I've recently learned that a woman I've had sex with over the past several months has tested positive for Herpes 1 and 2. She has never had any symptoms/outbreaks, etc. I got a full screen from tstd and it was negative on all fronts but at the time of the test it had only been a week since my last contact with her (oral sex only that last time). The person I spoke to at tstd said a "normal, healthy adult" will typically trigger a positive result (if infected) after 2 weeks from last exposure, but that "it can take several months"... I don't have a problem with abstinence in the meantime but the wait and suspense is really taking a toll. It's now been 2 and a half weeks since our last encounter (oral giving and receiving), over a month since last "real" sex. I will certainly get tested again at least once but I'm hoping someone here may be able to calm my nerves about the likelihood of her passing it to me when she's never noticed any symptom of outbreak (I've read Terri Warren who said that outbreaks can be minor and overlooked). I've also read that that HSV2 is most contagious in the first year, which compounds my anxiety since her infection is likely pretty recent. (?)... If anyone has opinions or experience to share, I'd appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:32 pm 

Also, if anyone has a suggestion of where I can get the best follow up test... tstd has some sort of hiatus until 4/16/07 so I think I want to go someplace else in the meantime. I've heard of a "full blood count" which may show early detection of my body fighting "something"... Any suggestions on the type of herpes test and where to get it (someplace like tstd that's anonymous). THANKS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:00 am 

You are allowing yourself to worry WAY too much about this!! Just because the gal you were with has hsv1 and hsv2 doesn't mean that you definitely had to have contracted it. It's good you got a baseline test to compare your future tests to. I'd wait until it's a full 3 months since the last time you had sex with her to retest if you feel the need to do so. If you are negative then - stop testing and move on.

Do you know if the gal was on daily suppressive therapy or not? If not - why not ask her? Did she tell you she had hsv1 and hsv2 ?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:26 pm 

Betsy,
Thanks so much for the reply. The woman was unaware she had either HSV1 or HSV2. She got tested because another former lover of hers told her he had an outbreak. She told me about this, so I went to get tested too after she tested positive for both. She hasn't ever had any symptoms of an outbreak (that she has noticed). So no, she wasn't on suppressive therapy at the time we were involved. I'm trying to be hopeful. Thanks again for your reply. If you have any opinion about what type/what vendor to use for my next test, I'd appreciate it. Thank you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:13 pm 

Healthcheckusa.com also offers the herpes select. if you are on the west coast of the US there are some other cheaper options too.

it's only another week until tstd is available again - you can wait too if you can't find any other options. When was the last time you had sex with this gal?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:57 am 

march 19th was the last contact. We both gave and rec'd oral. So as of today it's only been 3 wks since that time. Our most recent encounter prior to that was another 2 weeks. So as of today, just over a month since genital/vaginal intercourse, and just over 3 weeks since oral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:58 am 

You will need to wait until 3 months has passed to retest - tstd should be back up by then.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:02 am 

Thanks so much Betsy. Will do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:02 pm 

went ahead and did an interim test which was negative, having had a little over 4 weeks since any contact. hope my luck stays good. thanks for everything... will be going back at 60 days and 90 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:25 am 

Good luck MJ ~

I sure hope you do not have herpes.

Keep us posted!!

Angela :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:39 am 

almost time for the 90 day test. so far so good, thanks for your well wishes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]