ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: New to herpes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:11 pm 

I was recently diagnosed with herpes and i am having my first outbreak, I was wondering kinda how things go, like how long does it last, will the pain subside or will it hurt like hell for two weeks? I am on Valtrex so is that going to help the out break go away faster? I am just wanting to know what to expect?

I dont know if i can handle this for two weeks!!
Thanks
King24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:05 am 

If you haven't already - be sure to read the info on asha about herpes. Also there is a terrific patient counseling video at http://www.westoverheights.com/counseling-video.html . also be sure to read the herpes handbook on that site too - it offers terrific info on herpes, treatments and some symptom relief measures to try too to help get you thru this first ob.

Yes the valtrex will help things to heal faster. It should be 1gm twice a day for 10 days. Is that what you were prescribed?

How were you tested for herpes? Did they take cultures? Finding out if you have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally is important so make sure you follow up on that. Your doctor should've ordered a typed culture so that you could find out which type you have.

Hang in there - it will get better and recurrences won't be as severe as this one is.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:23 pm 

thanks betsyb1967!
I appreciate the reply!! so around how long does the first outbreak usually last?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:13 pm 

About 2 to 3 weeks .

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]