ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: newly diagnosed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:55 pm 

I was recently diagnosed and i have questions. My doctor did a culture and I received positive results. Is there any chance that they could be a false positive? My doctor didn't think that it was but the test came back positive. i didn't present "normal" symptoms. i had a few bumps, not sore, didn't itch. They were just there. my doctor thought that they were irritated hair folucules.My boyfriend at the time that they started showing up did not know he was infected. He has yet to get tested. Can my doctor tell me the type from a culture or do I need to ask for additional testing?

Really I need to know about transmission. I need to know that my world is not crashing in around me. How long does the virus live on objects? Towels, toliet seats, faucets, clothes, etc? Can it only be passed from physical contact with the infected area? I've read numerous posts about transmission on suppressive therapy. I am currently not on any medicine. My nurse told me that my case was mild and they wanted to wait until I have another outbreak. I am not sure what consititutes an outbreak because I don't have blisters or real sores. Should I push for medicine to prevent spreading anything, if there is ever a chance of future sex? Can they be pimples, what about just spots? How does oral sex work at this point? Can I still wax?

You know I thought I was being safe. I've always asked STD questions and condoms with every partner, which hasn't been many. This is so disappointing and I just don't know how to deal with all the emotions that I have going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:37 pm 

Hang in there. A positve culture is said to be 100% confirmation. The virus is transmitted by sex so don't worry about towels or toilets. You should have a blood test to see which type you have, statistically it will be hsv-2, but you won't know for sure till you do. If your blood test is negative, then that would indicate that you just aquired the virus recently. You are not alone...I have negative blood tests and I still think I have the virus :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:49 pm 

The nurse at my doctor's office said that blood tests are expensive and generally inconclusive becauce if you have chicken pox or what have you they can't distinguish. Should I still push for the blood testing?

Can I still have oral sex both giving and receiving? What about waxing? I noticed more of my outbreaks around the times I waxed and my period. I know you guys say the risk of transmitting the virus without an outbreak, with a condom and on meds is low but, do people still want to have sex with you when you tell them?

So I also got some prescribed acyclovir today. It is 400 mg three times a day. Does that sound like a normal dosage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:01 am 

You and your bf both need type specific herpes igg blood tests done so that you know who has what. You can not make educated decisions about where to go next with precautions until you know who has what. The type specific ones will not be affected by a history of chicken pox. They also run anywhere from $25-$150 depending on the lab and how many fees are tacked on. It should be covered by both of your insurances.

When they did your lesion culture - did they type it to know if it's hsv1 or hsv2?

the first ob is treated with acyclovir 400mg 3x/day for 7-10 days.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:36 pm 

Why is it important to what type you are? Is the treatment different or does it respond differently in your body? I don't know if they did type testing with the culture. The nurse didn't seem to say anything when I mentioned to her type testing. So my guess would be no.

I was reading the drug information for acyclovir and it says that it "does not protect against the spread of gential herpes. To lower the chance of giving herpes to your partner, do not have sexual contact during an outbreak or if you have symptoms, You can still spread gential herpes even if you do not have symptoms." I thought you mentioned in previous posts that all the drugs available help prevent the spread during shedding. Am I just misinterpretting the drug information? The pharmacist was not very helpful in explaining anything to me. I haven't had an opportunity to speak with my doctor yet. That will be late next week.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:02 pm 

When did the "bumps" appear from the point of initial and last contact with your boyfriend? Have you seen these bumps before, how many where there? Could it be possible you HSV already and this is a mild outbreak? Where were the bumps on your vagina or on the outside on the skin? This freaks me out because I've had a few bumps that I thought/think are HSV due to recent protected sex with a partner diagnosed as herpes +.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:47 pm 

Daily suppressive therapy reduces shedding by 80% on average. What this means is ( keep in mind I"m math impaired so I have to use really simple numbers....lol ) say for instance that your shedding patterns would be that 10 days out of the month, the virus was active and able to be detected on your skin by pcr. You start daily suppressive therapy august 1st. The virus would still activate as always but when it's active, the acyclovir interrupts the viral replication process so that the virus doesn't often get the chance to go hog wild in your body and cause actual lesions and/or shedding on the surface of the skin. There would still be 2 days a month that the virus would be active enough to be detected on the skin but otherwise suppressive therapy reduced it to that amount. Make more sense about how the antivirals work?

Now if you are just taking antivirals when you have active lesions present, they do help to shorten the duration of the ob as well as shorten the days that the virus is active on the skin with the ob. If you have sex during obvious lesions, even while taking acyclovir, it doesn't work to reduce transmission to a partner during active shedding.

Did either of those answer your question?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:39 am 

So basically Betsy, nothing is fool proof and they can't say that it is. The antiviral drugs just significantly reduce the odds of spreading the virus. That does help, thanks. Obviously, nothingis fool proof or we all wouldn't be sitting here discuss this.

i guess my bumps started appearing in Jan/Feb or something like that. They usually appeared around the time that I would wax or my period. So I didn't really think anything about them. They didn't hurt or bother me. My waxer didn't think it was an sti when she saw them. Now that I have started researching I realize that I may have presented more symptoms and just not known them. I knew very little about the virus. When I look back at other sti testing i have had done, they never tested me for the big H. So I guess i could have contracted it from a previous partner. i did date a guy for 5 years who had cold sores. He was always very conscienous of them but still accidents happen. However, i doubt it is from him. The guy who I think I contracted it from is no longer in the picture and he is under police investigation for theft of my property and debit card. So I have no doubt that he has it. Whether he actually knew or not, I don't know. I just keep playing in my head the saying, when you sleep with dogs you get fleas.

Back to your questions, my bumps are predominately on the outside. I have noticed a few that look more like irritation on the inside. this is all so new to me.

So is the treatment the same for both types of the virus? I heard that shedding is less frequent in the gential area with HSV1 and that the antiviral drugs are not as successful with HSV1.

More questions;
can I still wax?
should I throw out my "toy" because of increase risk of outbreaks?
can i still give and receive oral sex? Are dental dams a MUST now?
do you guys still have normal sex lives? I wasn't that experienced to begin with and now I feel like my odds of ever having sex again are gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 am 

Assume nothing about your herpes as far as who you might've gotten it from. Do you even know if it's hsv1 or hsv2 genitally yet? Your current partner definitely needs tested too.

Yes you can still get waxes. If you have anything going on in the genital area though when it's time for a wax, reschedule.

sex toys should be cleaned after use and stored according to the manufactures instructions. as long as you are doing that, no risk.

It's totally up to you and your partner if you want to use barrier protection or not for any sex act. Once you know who has what, you can better discuss what precautions in general to take.

I don't know if most folks would call my sex life normal but if you are asking if I have to avoid having fun in the bedroom ( and the bathroom and the living room and the deck and car and the hallways ) that my friends are having just because I have herpes, the answer is absolutely not! You can still do absolutely anything you were into before and still try anything sexually you want :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:41 pm 

I do not know yet. I am meeting with my actual doctor Thursday. I am going to talk to him about type testing, if they didn't already.

i know I shouldn't assume that I got it from anyone in particular but, with the way my luck went with that guy. It is just easier to assume that he gave it to me.

If my future partners are positive, can sex oral or otherwise, cause an outbreak? I guess the same goes for my toy. Speaking of that, can I use my toy and masturbate during an outbreak? As long as it is cleaned after wards, does it present any risks? I hear/read mixed things about what causes an outbreak. Stress, but not stress periods, health, etc. i know there is no sure thing but will I always have outbreaks around my period if that is when I notice it more than anything. Will the frequency of outbreaks decrease as the shedding decreases on meds?

I am reading everything I can get my hands on but some of the information I am getting contradicts itself. How is the "boxer shorts" area contagious when the skin on your thighs is supposedly too thick to have the disease present. Should it really just be the boy shorts area, slightly more than panties?

Is unprotected oral sex more risky now that I am positive if I am on antiviral drugs?

I don't know how I can trust my own judgment in men after my ex stole from me but now this. I have so many emotions going on. I hope that someday I will find someone who is trustworthy and is not scared of the fact that I now carry this stigma. Betsy - you do give me hope. I want an active sex life. It's just the matter of finding the right guy to share my sexual appetite with and hopefully not the disease.

Thank you Betsy you provide a fabulous and worth wild service. I am grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:32 pm 

Oh and I know I have asked this kind of question already but, I read somewhere that the virus can live on towels and clothes for a short period of time. It mentioned while they were wet and warm. So does this mean that until towels dry or sweat is dry in your clothes?

"People don’t get genital herpes from an inanimate object such as a hot tub or swimming
pool. Generally, the chemicals present in hot tubs and swimming pools easily kill the virus. We
do recommend, however, that during an outbreak, one not share their towel with another
person. Towels stay wet and warm for a while, and the virus could conceivably live for a very
short time in that environment. Warm water and soap will easily kill the vulnerable virus on
surfaces and clothing. Some studies have shown that the virus can live for a short time outside
of the body, but there are no documented cases of anyone contracting herpes from an
inanimate object." Westover's Herpes Handbook

And for that matter do we have no confirmed studies of the virus on inanimate objects because there is no research or because we can't really trace where people get the virus from? Where can the virus live outside of the object?

I am so sorry for bombarding you will so many questions. There is just so much information out there. I have to seek confirmation when it contradicts itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:10 pm 

You can expect to have ob's anywhere from the entire boxer short area but the virus doesn't shed from all that area. If sheds from the anogenital area ( think the softer pinker parts and the anal area ) as well as from the site of the actual lesion when you have one present.

You should never share towels, washcloths, toothbrushes or razors with others - regardless of your herpes status. Many very common germs are easily transmitted thru sharing them. Your own towel isn't an issue from a herpes standpoint but most of us don't pick a towel up to use again until it's dry anyways. Even if someone accidently uses your towel, really it's not an issue.

What precautions you and your partner take for sex acts is something for the two of you to decide on. You don't have to take any precautions at all if you don't want to - it's something to discuss.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 pm 

I went to the doctor today. I am not happy. I finally was able to sit down with my actual doctor and ask him some of my questions. I don't feel like I walked away with any real answers. If anything he contradicted himself during our discussion. :x

He refused to type test me. Do I need to go somewhere else to get tested? What benefit is there to know the type? He said that the type doesn't change the fact that I have herpes or the treatment, if any, is necessary.

He also said that he disagrees with antivirals reducing shedding. I feel like he was bothered by the fact that I was even asking questions. He didn't understand why I had specific questions. He said that his job was to provide information and reassurance and I don't think he did a good job of either of those for me. He also disagreed with numerous "facts" I have found on the internet. I am now questioning my information from all sources. Is my doctor just so behind the research or are the sites, such as this one, feeding me incorrect information?

Do I need to seek a second opinion? I don't think my test was actual incorrect but I am not getting the information or the support I need from my physican. For a college town I would figure that he would be on top of the information. For a disease that is so prevalent, why aren't we testing more? Why are we not educating more? I had no idea that I wasn't even tested before. And now that I know I am positive why am I not being properly educated on transmission to other people?

He also told me that my future outbreaks will reoccur only in the exact same area as the original outbreak. He also told me I could transmit the virus through hot tubs. He said that other bumps that I have could not be anything else but herpes however, they are in different locations. It just contradicts his self. Can stress cause an outbreak? He also said that I need to tell all my doctors of my diagnosis. This even includes my dentist. Is that correct?

We did agree to do a comprehensive panel of testing for anything else I could have contracted. I don't even know what this includes.

I need support and facts. I would have liked my doctor to walk me through my results and what to do now. Not just tell me that I am positive and that I will always have herpes and I can't go backwards. Well no crap sherlock. Why don't you tell me what needs to happen going forward and how can I prevent or limit passing this on to future partners? Oh and since I don't currently have a partner I feel like he doesn't consider any of this to be important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:28 am 

Unfortunately your doctor isn't as up to date on herpes as he needs to be :( I actually was at a conference last summer where the "expert" gave out erroneous information and I had to go and correct him afterwards and point him in the direction of more accurate information. He teaches at a major teaching hospital so you know he's been passing on the wrong information to the doctors he trains for years too. It happens way too much :(

Type does matter. You can't decide how to treat your herpes as well as you can't decide what precautions to take with a partner until you both know who has what. It would be a darn shame if you had hsv1 genitally and never knew it and went about your way thinking genital herpes is genital herpes and a future partner said they had hsv2 and you said ok well me too so you took no precautions and you ended up getting hsv2 which would result in more ob's and more shedding. Same goes if you have genital herpes and you had it prior to this partner and he doesn't have it, if it's hsv1 , odds are way lower of him contracting it from you so why pay for medication to take daily and why try to remember to take it if you don't have to?

as for shedding and reduction of it by antivirals - there is study after study after study on this. Your provider has obviously not read them. He obviously believes in the "conspiracy" theory and that the drug companies just want more folks taking their drugs. Really it's a shame. The valtrex and reduction in transmission study is also very well done and looked at reduction in shedding as well as reduction in transmission to a partner. Your doctor is ignoring the scientific evidence that has been around for 20+ years now on antivirals reducing shedding.

You will not spread herpes in a hot tub unless you are having sex with someone in a hot tub. The virus doesn't "float" thru the water to infect people. It doesn't just sit around on the surfaces of the hot tub for the next person to sit on and contract.

If your provider won't give you a type specific herpes igg blood test, then you and your partner should seek out one elsewhere. You can order it up yourself thru www.tstd.org or www.healthcheckusa.com if you can't find another clinic nearby that will do it for you both.

sorry you've been so confused by your provider :( He obviously needs to update his herpes knowledge quite a bit.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:17 pm 

So i called planned parenthood today in hopes of setting up an appointment and get some more current information. It was somewhat helpful. However, they told me that if i had hsv2 i automatically have hsv1. Is that possible? Why am I getting some many different answers to all of the same questions? No wonder this disease is so prevalent, nobody is on the same page as far as informing information and we don't rotinuely screen. What is wrong with this picture? Sorry a little more venting.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next