ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:14 am 

Oh good grief - you living in the herpes disinformation state or what?

No, you don't automatically have hsv1 if you have hsv2.

Makes me wonder if they are offering type specific herpes igg blood testing there or if you just talked to someone in the office that wasn't real knowledgeable?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:33 pm 

I am seriously think so. Everyone i talk to seems to give my inaccuarate or noncurrent information. Its a college town. You would think doctors and the medical profession would provide me with the most current information possible.

The woman i spoke with, I don't know if she was just office staff or not, said that they only test for hsv2. It was an intersting conversation. she did give me the national std hotline number though.

Betsy, thank you so much for all of your help. I seek out other information and always come back here.

Can you tell me about the risk and odds and possibility of spreading the virus to other parts of my body? Transmission is my biggest concern. Transmission to myself, friends, family and future partners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:14 am 

You really don't have to worry about transmission to other body parts. Just wash your hands after touching yourself intimately like you would've done anyways.

it's not an issue to anyone you aren't having sex with.

Transmission to a sex partner varies depending on gender.

if you can afford it, "the good news about the bad news" by Terri Warren is a terrific book that has come out recently. it's under $15 on amazon. She really goes into details in it on so many things and uses actual questions from her message board as well as questions from her clinic practice in it too.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:12 pm 

Good Lord, here I am again. This town I live in has got to be the most ignorant people when it comes to this topic. Betsy, I am sure you are so surprised. I had another outbreak. And I have been trying for two days to get the correct prescription. My doctor's nurse is out of town all week so someone else is handling my calls. They know less than my nurse, I am afraid. First they called in Valtrex, I asked them to switch to acyclovir so that it would be cheaper. Well when she called back she didn't switch the dosing instructions. Oh, and I asked for supressive theapry at this point. I went to the pharmacy later that day and read the prescription and figured out that it was wrong and asked to speak to the pharmacist. He said he thought that it sounded weird but filled it anyways. I returned the meds and asked for them to call the doctor's office the next day. He took my number to call me when it got corrected. Well 4:15 today, still hadn't heard from the pharmacy, so I call them. Oh that's right, the pharmacist didn't remember my name to call the doctor's office. So they tried again. When she called me back they had filled the order for outbreak dosing, not supression. So I called the doctor. She told me that pharamist told her I asked for that dosage. So then I explained to the nurse what I wanted (something for the outbreak and then something for supression probably in two separate prescriptions for easy refills.) She agreed and said she would call the pharmacy back. I went to work out and showed up at the pharmacy. They only filled one prescription. I had to ask for the second one. Then when I looked at them before I left, the dosing was wrong again. 400 mg twice a day for outbreaks of acyclovir. So I asked them to look at my old script. they corrected it, finally. So after two days, numerous mistakes and phone calls, I walked out of the pharmacy with my scripts. Now I need to know if they are right. This has been horrible. No wonder I feel alienated. No one here knows or chooses to check when they think there is a mistake.

So my new scripts are both for acyclovir
for outbreaks: 2 capsules (200 mg) 3 times a day for 7-10 days.
for supression: 1 tablet (400 mg) twice a day

Do these seeem correct? Is it weird that they are for the same mg yet different?

It has now been three days since my outbreak started. Do i even need to worry about taking the outbreak meds? Is it going to make a difference? Is there something about starting the meds right away that I don't know about?

Thank you for all of your help. This has just been one horrible experience after another. I think it is time to look for all new health care providers. Also, thanks for recommending the book. I am almost done with it. However, I am now more worried about contracting HIV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:16 pm 

Oh and thank you. If it wasn't for all of your information and references I would not be a good advocate for myself during this process. I am happy that I can rely on someone during all of this nonsense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:52 am 

At this point just start the acyclovir for this ob so that it does some good - you want to take either 400mg 3x/day for 5 days or 800mg 3x/day for 2 days. Don't bother going for a new prescription at this point, just use what you have :) I recommend the 2 day dosing for ob's - less days to remember to take medication more often.

suppressive therapy is 400mg 2x/day every single day. recurrences on that should be few and far between so you won't have to use the ob dose too often :)

Thankfully you've educated yourself enough to get folks in your clinic thinking about herpes to refresh themselves on doses!!!!

betsy

Post subject: Re: newly diagnosed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:47 pm 

Alright, I switched to valtrex just recently, since it went generic. However, I think my doctor is prescribing me too much. Based on previous experiences I have little faith. I called and verified the script and they said that it was correct. I asked if we were not treating the ob then just use the meds for supression. She said that we were doing both with this script. That makes me even more nervous. Alright so its 1g valacyclovir once a day. Is this not the ob dosage?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:09 pm 

Oh my! I feel your pain. All doctors are so confused or not as educated as one might think! Scary! I had a similar story, Betsy, where a friend of mine's mom teaches sex ed and had a speaker who was supposed to be on top of all STD training/education come to speak at their school. The information they gave out was not entirely true. ...and to newly diagnosed, I went to a doctor that told me that I automatically have HSV2 down there since I have HSV1 down there. Which is completely wrong. They are different and I think you should trust what Betsy says. I have only had the initial outbreak which is more typical of HSV1 genitally and if you get a type specific test, you may find out that you don't have as much to worry about....even though both are devistating. I know!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:14 am 

typically it's 500mg daily if you have 9 ob's or less a year. 1 gm if you have more. Some providers just prescribe the higher 1gm dose regardless. it's perfectly safe and acceptable.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2