ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: IGM test Positive
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:44 pm 

I recently had a complete checkup for std's, after an encounter. I decided to get a complete check. Everything came back negative except the IGM test which came back positive, the IGG came back negative. So this means I could have herpes?HSV1&HSV2 . I had no outbreaks or any episodes or symptoms. Can the IGM be wrong and why would the doctor use it? Or is he correct in saying I have one of these viruses or both, and it will probaly show up positive in the IGG in a few months?Please someone help me out on this. Are there many false positives on the IGM? what are the statistics on this?Why do doctors use it if it is not a viable tool?Help>>>

Last edited by rhid on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 pm 

The IGM test is an old test and can't distinguish between HSV1 or HSV2.
The specific IGG test can distinguish between the two. If your IGM test was positive, you have Herpes but it won't tell you which type.Also this can bring back false positives so keep that in mind
I don't know why doctors are still using the older tests but go by the IGG. IGM just gives them an idea of what to look for but the IGG is herpes specific and you will always want to request a specific test

Keep in mind HSV-1 ( the one I have) is usually the oral type but can be transmitted genitally and outbreaks are lesse severe and less frequent. Outbreaks can be confused as yeast infections and can look like scratches, red patches of skin, tender spots, swollen spots. Not all outbreaks are the classic type when HSV-1 affects the genital area.

Also depending on how long its been from an exposure, the viral load needs time to develop before the test can detect it.For example if you had a test 1 month from exposure, I would go back in 3 months to get retested. The virus usually takes 12-16 weeks to become detectable from the initial exposure.

I hope this helps you and feel free to ask questions. We are all here to help and you are not alone :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:34 am 

Thanks for the input and help. But still a bit confused on the IGM test result. If the IGG detects HSV1 and HSV2 and my result came back negative does this still mean I have herpes?In other words if the IGM test results have come back positive, yet there is a strong chance that it maybe a false positive?How strong is the chance that the IGM maybe wrong?Also the logic should mean that I will test positive for the IGG after a 3month period correct?So if I go back after 3 months and the IGG test negative still , then what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:23 am 

Okay that helps some.Don't go by the IGM.If the IGG test for HSV1 and HSV2 came back negative then that means Herpes antibodies were not detected and you are negative. The IGM test can be false positive and many testing centers consider the test useless and a waste of money.As a matter of fact some of the largest testing centers only run Herpes specific test. I called both labcorp and quest for information as well as the ASHA hotline.

However go by exposure time and this website also explains that process. If the test is before 12weeks from an exposure to Herpes, then I would retest.Results before 12 weeks can come back negative because antibodies haven't had time to become detectable for the test to indicate infection.If the test was done after 12 weeks of initial exposure then your current results are valid.This website has a great chart that explains that in the Herpes section.A test done after the window period is deemed valid and no further testing should be needed

Antibodies to Herpes 1 and Herpes 2 takes 12-16 weeks in many people to become detectable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:43 am 

Here's the Herpes index scale I received from LabCorp. This scale goes for their HSV1/2 specific testing (IgG)

Ranges:

0.0-0.89 (negative)
0.9-1.0 (may need to retest at a later date)
1.0 or higher (positive)

The ranges are the same for both HSV 1 and HSV 2 testing.

Hope this helps and if there are other forum members out there who know of other index scales please share or correct me if I'm wrong. Again, I got this scale from LabCorp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:58 am 

The igm test is frequently falsely positive and should never be ordered on an otherwise health adult. The biggest lab in the US doesn't even offer it anymore because of the issues behind it. Your doctor err'd in ordering it for you :( If you'd like I can provide you with a terrific journal article to give to your doctor on why the igm shouldn't be ordered.

A + igm does not mean necessarily that you have herpes. It cross reacts frequently and is often falsely positive. You will need to follow up with another igg blood test 3 months after the encounter and then go by what your igg results are at that time. I know it's a long time to wait but you have the best chance of not getting a false negative test result if you wait that long - the vast majority of folks will seroconvert by that point - especially since you are negative for hsv1 on your baseline test.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:04 pm 

Thanks all of you. Yes I would like a copy of the journal to show the doctor. This forum has been a valuable help to me. I will just wait to do a retest in about 3months and take only the IGG specific test and see what results come up. I guess I was really nervous and confused with a lot anxiety over having a positive IGM result and a negative IGG. I tried to check on the test that takes only 10 minutes for results, but I believe the doctors office does not order that test. It seems that would be a faster method to know the results. Well thanks again and I will just have to wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:26 pm 

I forgot to mention. I started to check with the FDA about this particular test the IGM for early herpes detection. They wanted to know the brand name of the test. Does anyone now what this test goes by on the open market?I wanted to see why the test was still being used for Adults. Any info the what the IGM test name brand goes by would help. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:53 am 

There are many different brand names for the igm herpes test. You'd have to check with your clinic to see which test they offer.

It's still being offered to adults because of under education on herpes blood testing for health professionals :(

The article your doctor needs to read is "common use of inaccurate antibody assays to identify infection status with herpes simplex virus type 2 " by dr's rhoda morrow and zane brown. It was published in the american journal of obstetrics and gynecology ( 2005) 193, 361-362. If you want I can email a copy of it to you - just send me an email to my nickname here at herpeshomepage.com

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:34 pm 

Hi all,

Well I just got off the line with the folks at Qwest Labs Customer Service and they were very cold and unsympathetic. I was inquiring about their IGM test and the lady there stood by the IGM test as being correct and a valid test. She said they are constantly perfecting it and it is a true and given test with almost perfect accuracy.Now this adds more to my stress and anxiety. Because since I tested positive for the IGM about a month ago and negative for the IGG at the same time. It seems as if I will test positive in the near future for the IGG. I just wish that lady at Qwest would not be so mean and rude to me as she was. I just don't understand why they would stand by this test and distribute it all over the country and then organizations such as ASHASTD do not trust on this test. Well I am really down now and very confused. Please can anyone shed more light on this IGM test ? Why would they use this test if there was no validity to it? Help guys I am really down today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:55 pm 

It sounds like the lady at Qwest was trying to rush you off the phone. Don't go by the IGM test. After reading your message, I called Qwest myself and a young man told me the test is just for general use and he hadn''t heard anything about them perfecting the test. BetseyB has said it before, the IGM is useless when trying to determine HSV1 or HSV2 in a person. I even called my OB/GYN, my mom's OB/GYN, and my sister's OB and all of them stated the IGM is useless. I even called Planned Parenthood , two free clinics in my area, and my college's nurse. All of them said IGM was useless and they should scrap that test completely

My sugesstion is demand a Herpes specific test and go by those results. I'm truly sorry you had to experience that rude and outlandish behavior :x .

The IGM is a less conclusive test to perform. As a result, there is less work to do to perform the test. Can you say cheap? As far as the rep saying they are improving the test? Yeah right. With all the new herpes specific testing out, many clinics including Lab Corp are no longer running the test. The error of margin in IGM testing is very significant. My OB/Gyn told me that my IGM range was 60 and the test scale was 0.0 - 1. He didin't even look at those results . He went directly to the IGG and diagnosed me with HSV-1. So that should let you know how out of range an IGM test can be

Get the IGG Herpes Specific. There are many clinics that will give you a specific test with no problems.

Isis :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]