ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:08 pm 

My husband and I have been in a monogamous relationship for 10 years. I have been recently diagnosed with HPV1. Now that I've read up on it, I can see I've had symptoms for years, but never an ulcerated OB until recently. It was then i was swabbed and diagnosed.

My husband was initially really afraid when I told him (so was I). His biggest concern was catching it, and MY biggest worry is giving it to him. The doctor had suggested to talk to him or us and I convinced my husband to go there without me because I thought it was important he be free to ask questions without my influence. He came back quite relieved indicating that if we've had an active sex life for 10 years and he hasn't shown symptoms, then he probably has it and isn't symptomatic (yet) or has a level of antibodies. My husband thinks therefore, this should be a non-issue and we should continue as we always have and the doctor seemed to agree.

Our doctor wants an appointment with us both when we have questions and to talk treatment if it should ever be required but I'm posting because Betsy sure seems to know a lot about this.

Questions:
1. Is it really a safe assumption that over a 10 year period in a HPV1 case with very few outbreaks that my husband has already been well exposed? I'd be broken-hearted if he dodged the bullet all those years only to get it now.

2. Is it truly possible that I've had my first OB now? I've have illness and 2 pregnancies between that and no ulcerated OB.

3. My iron was low and I'd just started the pill again (related) - could that have triggered the OB?

We are not blaming each other. The truth is we'll never know who gave it to who or even if he has it unless he has an OB right? Neither of us care the how, but I'm just so scared I'm going to give it to him.

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:45 pm 

Welcome to the board :)

I assume you mean hsv1 and not hpv? Hpv is a totally different virus than herpes simplex is.

How were you diagnosed as having hsv1 genitally? Did your hubby get tested with a type specific herpes igg blood test to know his status? Can he recall a history of cold sores at all?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:02 pm 

HSV1 yes, sorry for the mistype.

I was uncomfortable and had associated it to a particularly long sexual episode with my husband. It got so bad I couldn't sit, walk or urinate without a lot of pain. I could feel a couple of lumps but by the time I saw my GP, she saw ulcers. She swabbed them and the tests came back positive for HSV1.

My husband has not been tested, the doctor is looking into that now and we'll talk about it the next visit. He's never had cold sores in his life, neither have I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:12 pm 

Even the best blood tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. Getting hubby tested is a good idea and hopefully he's one of the majority with hsv1 who do show up on the blood tests properly so you have your answers. Typically hsv1 is transmitted from the oral area to the genital area thru oral sex. It can be transmitted from genitals to genitals but the risk is rather low of that happening.

At this point you might never figure out if you had this before this or just recently acquired it. It's not unusual after getting properly diagnosed to look back on things and think - oh you know I never thought herpes when I had such and such symptoms before - like you seem to have done already. Hsv1 genitally doesn't shed a whole heck of a lot in general so it's less likely to be transmitted to a partner from genitals to genitals. jUst avoid sex anytime you have symptoms regardless of hubby's hsv1 test result. If he does test + it's more likely he has hsv1 orally than genitally - most folks with hsv1 oral don't get obvious cold sores to know that they are infected.

No way to know what triggered this ob if it really is a recurrence. could've been the good sex, could've been a change in hormones, you probably will never figure it out.

It really sounds like the 2 of you are dealing with this as best as you can and you are both on the same page :) Keep asking questions as you have them :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 am 

I think he is dealing with it really well. As I mentioned he was freaked out at first, but settled right down when the doctor gave him some facts and now calls it simply a nuisance virus. I jumped straight to "stage 3" and I'm still down about it. I'm the infected/contagious person and it has only been two days with the diagnosis. I know I'll get past this and we'll work through it. I just need my few days of self pity, information gathering and eventual acceptance. I won't wallow in something that's already done and I can't fix, and he won't let me anyway.

I've read in a few places that there is are at least two studies linking HSV1 and Alzheimers. Do you know more?

I've also read that an anal OB can also feel like hemorrhoids - true?

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:47 pm 

sometimes anal ob's are confused with hemorrhoids though a proper exam usually is accurate. If you have an external hemorrhoid, a provider can see ( and feel ) it pretty easily. Typically the confusion is folks who have never had anal sex thinking that anything going on back there like pain and itching must mean a hemorrhoid, not a provider doing an exam and being able to tell the difference.

They've tried to link hsv1 to quite a few things. Part of the problem is that by the time the folks are old enough to have alzheimers and heart disease, the vast majority of them also have hsv1. At this point there's really no research proving a link that is worth worrying about as far as I"ve read. By the time we reach our 60's, about 80% of folks have hsv1 - hard to get thru life without it.

A pity party when newly diagnosed is ok :)

betsy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:35 pm 

Another question! The kids have all recently come down with pink eye (conjunctivitis). My eyes got sore too but I've been on prescribed drops then cream and oral antibiotics but after 5 days, I think it is worse not better. Symptoms are discharge/watery eyes, severe redness, swelling, discomfort, sensitive to light but no ulcers that I can see. I'm starting to wonder if this is an OB of ocular HSV. I've never had one but I know that HSV takes advantage when you're down.

Is it possible that even though I have genital HSV1, an eye infection could tip off an ocular HSV1 OB?

Also, if I have an ocular HSV1 OB, is it contagious?

Thanks again for all your help :)

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:51 pm 

typically conjunctivitis is viral and just needs to run its course. no reason to suspect that it's herpes going on especially since you all have been sharing germs it sounds like.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:16 pm 

Thank you again :)

Probably just viral pink eye. Double yuck!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:34 pm 

Hi,
Hate to usurp night's thread but it sounds so familar. I'm newly diagnosed and hubby and I have been together for 26 years. Hubby and I both test positive for HSV2, I don't know his igg but mine is 5.78. He has never had a known OB and my first known was just the last of April first of May and very obvious and painful.

I guess my question is how long can the virus sit dormant before a blood test registers it? I have had specific blood tests for HSV done before the OB and they have always come back negative. I have heard that it could be 10 or more years, is this true?

Thanks for your time and good luck night

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:20 pm 

no that is not true. the blood tests are 98% accurate if you wait 4 months post infection.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]