ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:03 pm 

WOW Guys!!! It's been a long long time since I stopped by the boards to talk so please forgive me Fredo and Betsey.I've been in Graduate school which is going great and enjoying a new relationship. Recently I broke the news to him about my HSV-1 genital herpes status.To my surprise he respected me for telling him what was going on and wanted to set up some couples counseling with my doctor as to prevent my outbreaks as well as protection for himself.He let me know that my status did not change his feelings for me at all.We still want to see each other and so far the HSV has not affected our relationship.We are doing fine so far.

If it wasn't for this board and the wonderful people on here, I would have never had the confidence to tell him. He even informed me that he has regular cold sores as well and let me know that when either of us has an outbreak no freaky business.We truly just want to get to know each other and build a relationship.

Keeping my fingers crossed guys.He may be the one. I just wanted to thank all of you for everything and as the semester ends, I will be on the boards more often I promise.I owe you guys that much.I want to let anyone know that life is not over because of the status.Focus on you and enjoy what you have.Before you know yu will meet someone who will love you regardless of your status.HSV doesn't make you.You are still an individual worthy of love, compassion and a life.When you think the HSV owns you, it does.Don't let three letters kill your dreams or spirit.

Love you all and holla back.I'm excited about everything going on right now!!!!!!!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:05 am 

Oh GREAT news!! Glad to hear that things are going so well for you in general :)

His hsv1 oral infection and your hsv1 genital infection makes it a non-issue for the most part. Anytime you have an obvious genital ob, avoid sex to err on the side of caution but otherwise it's not going to be a problem in this relationship :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:28 pm 

Thanks BetseyB

I appreciate that bit of information.I let him know this after I read your reply so he became even more relaxed.I think I have a winner !!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:58 pm 

Isis,

I was reading some of your earlier posts and it sounds like you had pretty frequent outbreaks in the beginning? Can you tell me a little about them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:03 pm 

Hey Informed,

Sure not a problem. Whe I was first diagnosed.I had a paper cut looking lesion.I didn't know what it was.I truly thought it was due to some rough off brand toilet paper ( yeah I'm a jokester so go ahead and laugh.)However it would heal up and when it finally did it came right back. I knew right then something was wrong.I went to the doctor and he did a blood samplee to get my type plus a swab and it was HSV-1. I was devestated but he assured me that HSV-1 was due to oral. Even though that was comforting my stress level was so high I was having outbreaks back to back. Nothing really extreme like the picture on the interent . Just these paper cut type lesions. I got on an antiviral to help and I'm glad I did.The lesions were somewhat painful and annoying but taking the antiviral help relieve symptoms for me almost instantly.They were frequent for me for about a year but the frequencey became less and less.I still get outbreaks but not like I did before.I guess my body needed to make antibodies for the genital areas. At any rate I stopped stressing out and got educated on HSV-1 and HSV-2 even though I only carry type 1.

Currenlty I take FAMVIR when I'm having an outbreak and it's ok.Just gives me a headache as a side effect sometimes.It's worked well for me so I can't complain.

Hope that helps some and if you have any questions,just ask and don't be shy.I will just be a friend and tell you the truth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:30 pm 

Isis,

Thanks for your reply. I heard that most people don't get regular ghsv 1 outbreaks but from you and others on another forum I see that isn't always the case. My body seems to hate the virus too. I also have it orally. I have constant pains and weird symptoms, which are finally getting a little better after seven months. I'm hoping after a year I am feeling 100% again.

I was wondering if you had any constant symptoms - lower back pain, etc. I have lower back pain, weird tongue 'nics', tingles on the bottom of my feet, etc. I just want to feel normal again! Your story gives me hope!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:14 am 

About 10% of folks who have hsv1 genitally do get ob's more often. It's uncommon but it does happen. Most folks who have hsv1 genitally and think they are having frequent symptoms, eventually find other causes for them. It's important to follow up with your provider for symptoms that aren't typical to find out what is causing them.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:25 pm 

As far as constant symptoms.I haven't experienced any of those that are related to herpes.However, if they continue to bother you just let your doctor know to make sure there isn't anything else going on.Sometimes the stress of finding out can have effects on you.I'm always here to support if you need.Feel free to talk to me anytime :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:09 pm 

Hi Isis,
I just posted a message above with the subject "Frequent outbreaks?" and I found your post very responsive to my question. In addition to Betsy's advice, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind shedding some light on the situation.

After having my first HSV-1 outbreak on December 16, I had a paper cut-type lesion on the labia on January 15. I took Acyclovir from January 15-20. Today is January 25 and I have another paper cut on the same labia. I'm wondering if I should take another round of the episodic treatment (though I just finished 5 days ago) or if I should consider taking the suppressive therapy? Do you know if I just put up with the one paper-cut (without taking the antivirals), would it progress into a worse outbreak?

You mentioned that you had back-to-back outbreaks that looked like a paper cut. Did you take the suppressive therapy, and if so, for how long? Do you mind if I ask how frequent your outbreaks are now?

Thanks so much for sharing your story--I really appreciate it!

Kimberly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:52 pm 

Sure I don't mind sharing . That's what I'm here for. I never took suppressive therapy. I only took my Famvir whenever I had an outbreak. Sometimes they were back to back so whenever I saw an outbreak, I would take my doses of Famvir. One time my outbreaks were frequent and I went to my doctor to check it out. I was also having a case of the yeasties!! Not cool but it made sense since I worked out a lot and friction can bring on an outbreak. I would say the suppressive therapy could help if you are having extremely frequent outbreaks. I know I would have considered it in the beginning. Your body's own immune system will kick in to fight the virus . I can say I did have one outbreak and had no famvir on me when it was going on. It didn't get worse and it eventually healed up.Also you may want to try possibly another type of therapy. Some forms of HSV antivirals work differently for people with one's body responding better to one than the other. If acyclovir isn't working, you can try FAMVIR or Valtrex. Keep in mind all are a form of acyclovir but the others may have a longer theraupetic effect. The antivirals are to help aid the body's immune system and bring you some comfort as your own immune system kicks in.

I usually get an outbreak now about 3 or 4 times a year so mind have become less frequent than the beginning. I had frequent ones for about 18 months when I first found out. I hope that helps a little and if there are other questions please feel free to ask!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:54 pm 

just to clarify - famvir is not a form of acyclovir.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:44 pm 

I'm glad you clarified that for me. That's what I get for going to my health insurance pharmacist. Long story behind that benefit my job is fighting to get turned over. :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]