ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lamentation
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:56 pm 

Not sure where to begin.
Had a thirteen year marriage that ended in divorce two years ago due to his promiscuity. I had had no prior partner. I was tested twice (once immediately and second six months later), for all sexually transmitted diseases and all were negative (was not sure, but recently confirmed with my doctor). Incidentaly, I had (have) never experienced any genital warts, ever. A couple of years after (recently) became involved with a man that I thought was monogamos, but found out he really had no intention of remaining so. This ended and I tested again. When I found out that the test was positive I retested. I had, in the meantime, informed the man of the prior result, and as of today received the conformation that it was not a false positive. During this drama my ex-husband has retested and was found negative (it has been about two years since his last encounter). I guess my question to whomever may be able to give me some advice is how to be sure of the timeline? I "know" my second partner had two lovers, one was a one night stand (the one I worry about), as well as an ex-wife that had (one?) affair on him, yet he promises he has always been very careful. We were not (obvioulsly) yet I can tell he blames me. From what I have read, if it is from me it should have shown in my blood tests much earlier, or can it really lay so dormant not to be detected for years? This is not so much a blame thing as a responsibility thing, to everyone involved. I am trying to spare him the horror of that discussion with everyone he has been involved with. He is also waiting for results. Any advice out there.
One more question, any suggestion of the best non-invasive treatment, since the idea of drugs in my body for something I have never experienced before does not sound so appealing to me. I am aware of the ones online and have today spoken to my doctor and have chosen episodic-any "proven" alternative for an outbreak if it occurs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:55 am 

so you tested + for hsv2? ( confused since you also mentioned genital warts )

If you tested negative for hsv2 after your marriage and this fellow is the only other partner you've had - then the hsv2 came from him. If he needs help with his test results - be sure to post them here and we'll give you both a hand with them.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:42 am 

Thank you Betsy for your responce,
What I meant was lesions, I guess in my mind visually they seem the same, sorry. Yes I have tested before more than a year and a half ago, then once more eight months later. I was concerned about not having the second set of records but spoke to my doctor and he says that the second time was not only for HIV (what I was most concered with at the time) but also for the complete panel-including herpes-on venereal diseases. This was during my physical so it was not just blood, but also culture from my pap smear.
I have never had any of the symptoms attributed to herpes before, still do not even though I know I have now definetely tested positive. The second time I requested the doctor use one of the four tests recommended on this site, and gave him all the information. I believe it was HerpeSelect that was the test chosen and I had him test both HSV1 and HSV2, the current results both came back elevated>5.00.
The second partner was only the other partner in my sexual history. He has posted with a different story, he has no intention of posting his results I am sure. We are at the moment not in contact and unfortunately, as I said he blames me. I really do wish to spare him and had tried to be a friend, accepting the responsibility of being irresponsible as well in our union, however I am afraid that he has chosen to see it as my fault. I feel it is more anger and fear on his part and I relate.
Anyway, so I just want to understand, can the blood tests be false negative after -years- could it have been the wrong type of tests. As the site says, some are somewhat worthless? My ex-husband had the same results-negative-recently but I am not sure what tests he had. Should he get a second test as I did using one of the four reccommended as well? I just do not want this drama continuing, and making it more persons problems than need be. I am trying so hard to have a healthy and compassionate attitude about all this however, when do I let this be and just concern myself with myself? Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:58 am 

I'm pretty sure I understand why you need to have these answers :)

If you can get a copy of your first blood test results and post them for me I can let you know if you can trust their results or not. The culture for herpes the doc did with your pap the 2nd time - was of little use unless of course he had noticed ulcerations on your cervix at the time due to herpes.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:30 am 

Betsy,
Did not know you had posted a reply, I am about ready to leave for a two week business trip.
I have a pretty intense past for gynecological problems since before puberty, and have had annual and bi-annual visits regarding such most of my life. If there ever were ulcerations before, wouldn't the doctor have mentioned them?
As to posting my results, I do not have the ablity to scan them (plus regarding my privacy this seems a bit frightful) but the form reads as follows (just the results relating to the discussion); RPR-non reactive, HSV11 lgG-normal,Chlamydia/GC DNA Probe-not detected, Candida species DNA- negative, Gardnerella DNA Probe-positive, Trichomonas DNA Probe-normal. I had noticed that the doctor seems to not have tested me the first time for HSV1, but I thought he had said he did the second time, anyway I cannot believe that would come back negative, now being a bit more educated on the subject, I have had a couple of cold sores in my youth. I hope this is what you needed. I will try to check this site, but do not know if I will have a great deal of time while away. Again, thank you for your understanding and your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:36 pm 

Oh I didn't mean the full testing - just the numerical results for your hsv1 igg and hsv2 igg. sorry about the confusion!!

Just getting a result of "Normal" for your hsv2 test isn't very helpful. When you get back from your trip if you want you can call your doctor and see if there was a specific numerical result for it. Though really it appears that you tested negative for hsv2 then so this would be a new infection for you - in otherwords from the 2nd partner.

At this point you know you have hsv2 which is all that's important - so you can take precautions with future partners. If the 2nd guy wants to think that you are at fault and not him - those are his issues , not yours. There are definitely reasons why he's an ex bf and not a current bf ! wash your hands of him sweety!

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:53 am 

Betsy,
Sorry it took so long to respond, my son was not well for the last few days. Since last posting found out that both my exes are positive. Saw both of their results personally, one sent post. Anyway guess some questions are never answered. Thank you for your responses, really appreciated, just needed the support. Not sure what to tell the kids when this subject comes up in the years to come along with "the talk", but hopefully by then my answers will be helpful to them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]