ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:36 am 

I had protected sex with a women who later advised she had herpes. I have nervous signs of herpes, but two blood tests from tSTD, one 3 weeks and one 10 weeks after exposure where negative. Now two months later, I wake up this morning with odd blisters on the shaft of my penis near the head. 6 spots all a few millimeters apart, some 1/2 centimeter from each other. I have always had excema issues in my gentials since a child so throughout my life I've dealt with wierd/odd skin conditions down there.

I've had un-protected sex with a women for the last 3 weeks, dating but have talked about STDs, she said she was just tested last week and was all good. I did have protected sex with a different women 10 days ago, a friend for some time but never had sex until recently. She had confirmed no STDs as well; she said she was tested back in the summer before her surgery.

The only two women I've had sex with recently; both who I can in some fashion trust they are telling the true.

But these spots are odd, more circular then my usual excema breakout. No pain, discomfort, illness, itching, tingle, no blistering. They do have a slite bump to them but have already started to crust/heal per se.

I did masterbate yesterday with some different lotion that I knew had the potential to irritate, but did anyway. Could it be an irritation from the lotion? Am I being paranoid again? Something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:31 pm 

Odds are that none of your partners are getting tested for herpes. I recommend going to be to seen tomorrow and having these looked at and professionally evaluated.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:19 pm 

So I went to the doctor's and he did a visual examination and he feels confident that it is herpes from the looks of it. He started me on Valtrex 500mg 3x a day. He also sent me to get a IgM (or IgG?) test. Results to come back Wed.

I've told my partners today already and has you may guessed they were devastated.

The only positive side to my story is that my outbreak is not medically effecting me. No itching or such, discomfort or pain, just some spots on my penis. 2 days from exposure they have already basically healed just showing a red spot where they developed.

My question - I had protected sex back in the beginning of July with someone who advised they had herpes (long story, initially she said she didn't and "found out" later she did). I had the Herpes Select test done at the end of July and Sept, both negative. What is the likelyhood that this outbreak is from her? 4-5 months after exposure, showed no initial symptoms and had two negative tests since then, the second almost 12 weeks afterwards?

Also, is there a good website to meet other people in my area in the same situation?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:23 pm 

Cansol97 wrote:
So I went to the doctor's and he did a visual examination and he feels confident that it is herpes from the looks of it. He started me on Valtrex 500mg 3x a day. He also sent me to get a IgM (or IgG?) test. Results to come back Wed.

I've told my partners today already and has you may guessed they were devastated.

The only positive side to my story is that my outbreak is not medically effecting me. No itching or such, discomfort or pain, just some spots on my penis. 2 days from exposure they have already basically healed just showing a red spot where they developed.

My question - I had protected sex back in the beginning of July with someone who advised they had herpes (long story, initially she said she didn't and "found out" later she did). I had the Herpes Select test done at the end of July and Sept, both negative. What is the likelyhood that this outbreak is from her? 4-5 months after exposure, showed no initial symptoms and had two negative tests since then, the second almost 12 weeks afterwards?

Also, is there a good website to meet other people in my area in the same situation?

Hey Cansol....I think that Betsy raised a really good point. It would probably be a good idea to find out exactly what your other partners were tested for because oftentimes testing for STDs does not include Herpes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:34 pm 

Understood. I was very adamant about herpes testing and both were adamant that they were tested for it. In any case, both went to the doctor's today for an evaluation.

I'm just concerned that I've had it since July and didn't know. BUT I tested negative on July 30 and Sept 23 and had no sex until the recent two.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:56 pm 

Cansol97 wrote:
Understood. I was very adamant about herpes testing and both were adamant that they were tested for it. In any case, both went to the doctor's today for an evaluation.

I'm just concerned that I've had it since July and didn't know. BUT I tested negative on July 30 and Sept 23 and had no sex until the recent two.

I know that Betsy recommends waiting until 4 months for a suspected new infection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:15 am 

it's really unfortunate that your provider didn't follow protocol and get a lesion culture of your symptoms when you were there to confirm the visual diagnosis much sooner. It's also the only way to accurately diagnose hsv1 genitally too.

Once your partners have their test results back for herpes, you'll have a better idea of if this is newly acquired or not ( if it's even herpes ). Hopefully your provider did not do the herpes igm test ( see above post about the flaws of the herpes igm test and why it shouldn't be done ).

At this point you still really do not have any answers unfortunately.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:31 pm 

First off Betsy, thanks for your dedication to this board, I've made another donation to ASHA and I encourage anyone reading this to do so as well.
The doctor didn't take a culture because as I noted there was for all intent and purposes there was no open lesions to swab, they had already begun to heal after two days. I would have gone immediately but it was the weekend and all my family was in town and I couldn't leave them. As mentioned, within 5 days from when the sores appeared, they were healed for the most part with none of the effects associated with herpes that I have read. But I understand everyone is different.
So the saga continues....My doctor called me last night to tell me my tests were negative (he did IgG and IgM, I am aware of the flaws). So that would rule out the girl from July to as close to zero as you can come. The test was conducted 15 and 8 days from the date of alleged exposure. Both girls stated they didn’t have any signs and both within the last few days had negative test results.
I know I am not out of the water or anywhere close. I will be conducting future tests but it does give me a sliver of hope.

Question: I didn’t ask, but I assume the IgG tests for both type I and II without the doctor asking. I’m thinking that it could possibly be type I that I got since from what I read type I in the genitals isn’t as severe and could have gotten it orally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 pm 

Actually a newly acquired hsv1 genital infection is more likely to be "classic" for herpes - very obvious and very painful and not likely to heal up in 5 days. Hsv1 genitally is considered to be milder in that it doesn't shed as often and doesn't reoccur as often as hsv2 genitally does.

Unfortunately at this point nothing to do but wait. should you get a recurrence of symptoms, be seen for a lesion culture and typing promptly. otherwise repeat your blood test in a few months for peace of mind.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:19 pm 

Uggg! the saga still continues. Woke up this morning with some more spots. Smaller, only just a few in the same general area, barely noticable per se. No pain or tingling or itching but did open up.

Is it possible to get an outbreak 6-12 days from exposure have them heal and then still get an additional outbreak 3 1/2 weeks later? Both partners had re-tests both negative, my tests post exposure 10 days negative (IgG and IgM).

My stress level is highly elevated currently, when my exzema break out, it could be this...confused. I doubt a culture swab could be done on them since nothing leaking from them now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:21 pm 

you have new symptoms so you need to go and be seen.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:35 pm 

Thanks for the advise Betsy, but not sure what the doctor can do at this point since there is nothing to swab. The spots are tiny at best and if I didn't point them out he wouldn't notice them. I am not experiencing symptoms or having any sort of pain or even remote discomfort, so prescribing anything at this point for treatment isn't going to do anything.

I am going to follow up with additional testing in a few weeks and then at 12 weeks and abstain from sex to see if I get results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:26 am 

If they are that little, odds are they aren't herpes anyways.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:24 pm 

Well, my "spots" are sort of persisting so I returned to the doctor today. He took a look at them and believes it is penile Lichen planus, a non-contagious skin condition common in male adults. Reviewing the condition online of the condition as well recalling my skin history of what I always referred to as exzema on my penis and seeing the pictures, it sort of makes sense now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:19 pm 

Glad this time a provider saw them and was able to give you something else to consider. If you have your doubts, a simple biopsy of symptoms can show exactly if it's lichens or not.

Did they give you topical steroids for on it?

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next